Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Hill Salvia-FLOPPY?

Posted by erinb007 Naperville, IL (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 30, 05 at 21:31

Ok, I bought the Blue Hill becuase I thought it was supposed to NOT flop. Either it's flopping or a big deer has come and sat in the middle of it...it's my first time growing and I honestly don't know if an animal matted it down or what. I have tons of them and they all look mashed down from the center. UGGGH.

What Salvias DON'T FLOP and keep a great blue or purple color without needed to be cut back?

Thanks!
Erin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Hill Salvia-FLOPPY?

• Posted by Cait1 VIC Aust (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 1, 05 at 0:36

I don't mean to be dense, but don't all salvia need to be cut back or trimmed at some point?
I think S. forsskaolii could be a good one for you to try. The inflorescences are very sturdy and since it dies down in winter it shouldn't be that hard to keep in your zone.
You may also want to try 'Indogi Spires'. Cuttings root easily to be saved for spring planting; I don't know if it would overwinter in your area.
Cait

o
RE: Blue Hill Salvia-FLOPPY?

I am growing S. Guaranitica Black and Blue for the first time this year. So far it's 3 feet tall and is nicely upright, definitely more so than S. Indigo Spires was in my case. Diva

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here