Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ramazz_gw

Salvia transylvanica?

ramazz
16 years ago

This is one I planted from seed and I just want to confirm that I have identified it correctly - I looked at some pics on the web and it seems right.

Becky

Comments (7)

• Christopher (Dallas Garden) Miller
    16 years ago

Becky,
    It looks very much like S. Trans to me. Did you grow this from seed this year? I have some that I grew from seed in February under lights and it's only about half the height of yours and hasn't bloomed yet. Where do you live?

• ramazz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I live in Newport News, Virginia. Yes, I started it from seed under lights this winter. I can't say exactly when I started them, but probably January. When I put them outside, the s. transylvanica were rather floppy, and I didn't expect such a strong, tall plant. I have at least 3 or 4 of them in various locations. I didn't label most of them, just figured I would be able to identify them when they bloom.

Becky

• wardda
    16 years ago

It is my favorite of the old world sages I've tried. One thing though, it doesn't appreciate being crowded in with other plants. That is the reason I don't have it anymore.

• ramazz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmm, well that is good to know, wardda. Right now it has a lot of space, but I intend to fill in around it. I will be careful what I choose, maybe it will tolerate something that is lower growing. When we bought the house, all we had was the shrubbery so it will take a while to get it all filled in.

• marcfevans_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

So this is one well-named sage because it sure grew to be a monster. Using Becky's seeds, I had 5 of these plants go to over six feet in an area getting mostly morning and early afternoon sun. A beautiful flower but so far the worst-smelling sage I've encountered. Very reminiscent of lantana in that it is so unique that I had to get the scent all over my hands and clothes 10 times or so before I decided I really didn't like it.

I think I'll try and use hummingbird sages to fill in that area next year.

• ramazz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL, Marc. I think that all of the Old World salvias that I planted are stinkier than the New World ones. Mine did not get as large as yours, but I have also decided to remove most of the Old World sages from my yard. We have something called Plantcycle locally and I just offered up some austriacas and regelianas on that. I have already dug up most of the transylvanicas. I may keep one, but with the quantity of seed that they produce, I may not. Nothing eats them, that is for sure. I guess the smell is good for something.

Becky

• drusilla
    15 years ago

Don't you like the smell? I'm amazed - the wonderful salvia smells are a big part of the attraction for me! Mind you, probably not so strong here given our pathetic summers - I don't get too close to S clevelandii on a hot afternoon!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville