Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
voodoobrew

salvia ID? sp. from Guatemala

voodoobrew
13 years ago

Does anyone know what the salvia in the link below might be?

Apparently in blooms in winter/ late spring in CA.

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: unnamed salvia

Comments (16)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    13 years ago

How do they know if it is super rare if they don't know it's super rare name?

• voodoobrew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL. There are quite a few that are still called "sp. from XYZ", waiting to be named, if you look at Robin's site. So I was just wondering if anyone recognized this one. This seller sells very nice plants, including many rare salvias (probably from Cabrillo College!), so my feeling is that they are reputable.

• robinmi_gw
    13 years ago

This looks like something being sold in Wales by Crug Farm Plants, again not named. Could possibly be a hybrid with Salvia karwinskii being involved. So many un-named Salvias and hybrids around currently, many of mine just have SALVIA ? on the labels!

• rich_dufresne
    13 years ago

Salvia curtiflora might be it, or a related species. Does the buyer offer the plant's provenance? This would make the plant much more valuable to collectors.

• robinmi_gw
    13 years ago

I think Rich is correct....Salvia curtiflora. (Not to be confused with the beautiful Salvia curviflora.)

• jonopp
    13 years ago

Looks like S. curtiflora to me! I had one in the Mission that got huge - 10 feet+ - and bloomed only once... I think it needed a little more warmth - or at least less wind!

• voodoobrew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, so it sounds like I should plant it in a sunny spot, away from wind, then! 10 feet+... oh boy, my resident hummingbirds are already fighting enough as it is! LOL

• rich_dufresne
    13 years ago

Depending on the foliage, I'd perhaps give it some shade. If the foliage is smooth, this is an indication of shade-loving. If the foliage is hairy, this indicates tolerance of sun. The hairs reflect excess sunlight.

• jonopp
    13 years ago

'Scuse...Yes! it's a shade-lover! I meant warmth, not sun! Think of some still, mild-all-night place in Mexico...in a shady thicket.

It'll want some water, too.

• voodoobrew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, the leaves are somewhat hairy. I have it in part shade now, just to acclimate it to my garden after shipping stress. I have a spot it might like... on a slope next to 3 redwood trees, so it wouldn't get all the redwood mess (due to slope), yet that area is partly shaded, and fairly heavily watered. No more drought for us, right? :-)

Jonopp, was curtiflora a winter bloomer for you in S.F.?

• voodoobrew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, I have another salvia ID question. This one is from Costa Rica, on the cover of a book of plants. Anyone know which salvia it is? see link

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia sp. Costa Rica

• hybridsage
    13 years ago

Voodoobrew:
    Looks like a species fushia from what I can see.
    Art

• voodoobrew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, now that I take a closer look at the calyx, it doesn't look like a salvia. But the flower sure did! The leaves look a bit like a salvia I saw (not in bloom) recently at UCBerkeley which was labeled only "Salvia sp. Costa Rica". Still wondering what that was.

Interesting species fuchsia, if that is what it is. btw, we have been looking at options for a Costa Rica trip, hopefully for this spring.

• hybridsage
    13 years ago

Sounds like a great trip. I guess it is safe for Americans??
    Keep us posted!
    Art

• rich_dufresne
    13 years ago

The flower looks like it could be from an Acantaceae, or possibly a Rubiaceae species. Both are found in Mexico and Central America. A closer look at the calyx would tell much. A lot of species from these families have Salvia like flowers.

• voodoobrew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your replies. Art, Costa Rica is probably the safest country to visit south of our border. The main purpose would be to see wildlife, but also plants, of course! :) The Monteverde cloud forest is well-known for both.

Here is a link that might be useful: Monteverde

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH