Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sun damage on Black & Blue?

Posted by ditnc 7 NC (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 0:49

I'm in NC zone 7b. My B&B came back beautifully this spring, and I transplanted it into a black kettle pot. It gets sun from about 11am until 6pm. It has been in the 100's for a week or 2 now (although it fells like forever!). I have noticed that my B&B is suffering, with singed edges on some of the leaves, and today I noticed several leaves had fallen off. (The kettle and roots are shaded by the deck during the late afternoon, but the leaves have full sun.)

I read that this salvia loves sun. Is that incorrect? I have been giving it lots of water to get it through this hot spell, but I'm thinking that perhaps it needs shade. Does anyone have experience with B&B in a very hot climate? What type of sun does it like?

I'm taking it out of the midday/late afternoon sun tomorrow to try to relieve its stress and help it recover. But so many of my plants have died so far this year, I feel I need some guidance. TIA.

P.S. my hot lips is next to the B&B, and it's doing well (knock on wood!). And the temps here should drop into the 80's this week.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sun damage on Black & Blue?

The roots need to breath. I am experiencing some die-off because some of my sages have roots that are sensitive to the combination of high heat and moisture, and not enough air.

We need to get some research done in this area to determine optimal conditions for different sages.

o
RE: Sun damage on Black & Blue?

Actually Black & Blue and other guaranitica don't require full sun. I gave some to a friend maybe 10 years ago who planted them in a 70% shady garden (the kind of place Trilliums thrive) and they have done quite well. I completely agree with Rich's comment about needing to know more about the culture of particular salvias. It can take me years to get it right and with a few I never do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here