Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
S. forreri flowers - the blue and pink ones

Posted by dave_olympia 7B (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 1:52

I wasn't expecting this, both blue and pink flowers on the same plant, propagated from seed this spring. Not much info about this one. I hope it's as hardy as arizonica. Sorry about the really bad picture, ones on the upper right and lower left are a light pink. The only other possibility is 2 seedlings planted together - that could've happened, I guess. David

forrei_07-23-12_2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: S. forreri flowers - the blue and pink ones

Can't help you with the two colored salvia but I am curious. I have been considering growing arizonica for several years now and I wonder what you can tell me.

o

I'm getting an arizonica from High Country Gardens this weekend. Like forreri, it is a high-altitude plant, and needs drainage. I grew it before, and it was a wiry plant. Forreri is a lot like glechomifolia, and may also like some humus. All three are closely related.

o

wardda, I bought a small plant of arizonica in summer of 2010 and it has thrived here in the Pacific NW at the base of a small tree. I read that it often grows under shrubs and trees in the wild. It has now spread several feet outward from the base. It's a great ground cover and the small flowers are best enjoyed up close. We had temperatures in 2010 down to 12 degrees and it came back in May with no problems. I think it could be easily controlled if you want a smaller patch by cutting it back. The stems are quite long. It sets plenty of seeds.

o

Thanks, it should be hardy here in South Jersey too, especially since drainage isn't an issue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here