Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
francescod_gw

Salvia 'Otahal'

francescod
14 years ago

I have a new (to me) cultivar called 'Otahal'. This appears to be a hybrid between S. farinacea (similar inflorescences to 'Strata') and either S. azurea or S. reptans (similar foliage). Can anyone give me the proper lineage and hardiness range if known, please. Thanks.

-F. DeBaggio

Comments (6)

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

After some poking around on Google, I found this:

A bumblebee on the Salvia 'Otahal'. This blue and white variety is named after native Texan plantsman David Otahal, an old friend of mine from Hartman Junior High School in Houston.

http://www.mycornerofkaty.com/2008/09/absobloominlutely-thrilled-to-still.html

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

francescod:
    This may take awhile I contacted the supplier (Southwest Perennials). They had no information so I have contacted the
    company in Houston,Texas for further information.It is evergreen there and gets about 3' with silver foilage, blue and white blooms. I am waiting on the
    person from the nursery to conact me with more info.
    on the origin of this plant.
    Art

• francescod
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Southwest Perennials is where I acquired the plants. I searched the web when I ordered these back in January and didn't found much info then. I wasn't sure I could trust the info they might have-there was no info on their site other than hardy to zone 8/9. If it is a hybrid of the hardier species that I suspect, then that info may not be accurate. I have at least 45 plants in quart pots all in bloom and they are absolutely stunning! They were initially very lax in habit due to being in a shaded cold frame all Spring, but after getting cut back hard they are nicely upright in full sun. The picture on the blog that Rich posted does not do the plant justice!

I also got from them S. leucantha that they later claimed was S. leucantha 'Midnight' when I called to double check which variety they sent (I was expecting the species). I sold it as 'Midnight' this spring and I am keeping my fingers crossed that they didn't mislead me-they haven't flowered yet so we'll see.

Thanks for contacting them Art. I hope they have something more concrete to offer.

-F. DeBaggio

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

Ok, here is the deal it is a sport of Salvia farinacea found
    in a landscape.David Otahal found it.The plant is more compact than that of the original.Should be getting some pictures tonight
    so I will post them.The people I talked with said to contact
    David directly so that may be my next step.
    Art

• francescod
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It must be a hybrid and not a sport. The leaves look nothing like S. farinacea. They are narrow and smooth-edged more like S. reptans (West Texas form).

Here's a photo:

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

Salvia azurea, S. farinacea, and S. reptans are members of section Farinaceae and are closely related. I'm half convinced that the western Texas form of reptans is a cross of reptans with azurea. It is reliably hardy outside of Buffalo, NY and the Connecticut river valley in Massachusetts (USDA Zone5).

Tony Avent has seen azurea x farinacea hybrids.

Sponsored