Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prune leggy Mystic Spires NOW???

Posted by rosynmontgomery (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 17, 09 at 9:50

My MS salvias have been in the ground for a year. They were 3 little sticks per plant and about 1 foot tall. At the height of their glory this past fall they were over 5 feet. But now (in July in zone 7-8 Texas) they are falling over and VERY leggy. The main stem is huge and very visible. Can I prune at all now or is there a better time and can I hope for blooms when the new growth comes out??? thanks in advance for the help.

Patti

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prune leggy Mystic Spires NOW???

Oh great! I just planted 6 'Mystic Spires' earlier this summer! They were labeled as a "compact form" of 'Indigo Spires'. :-) I look forward to the response on this so that I can be prepared.

Thank,

Cameron

o
RE: Prune leggy Mystic Spires NOW???

Patti:
You mush have "Indigo Spires" it gets about 5'x 5' . I have "Mystic Spires" which has been more compact and
attains a height of closer to 3 foot in bloom.Mine has been
in the ground for a year now. In either
case cut it back about a third so the crown can push
new growth out and fill in the open area's.With our 100
degree days (and a little help from the Irrigation)it should
recover pretty quickly.
Art

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here