Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerris2

Salvia hispanica - anyone have an image?

I looked and looked online for an image of this species, and could not find one. Has anyone grown it? If so, would you fill me in on what it looks like, how tall and wide it grows, and that sort of information? It would be very useful information so I can place the plants properly in my garden. Or...if you had a picture of it I'd really enjoy seeing that too. Thanks!!

Joseph

Comments (7)

• robinmi_gw
    18 years ago

This is an annual species, growing to about 70cm. The flowers are really small, and pale blue, from July onwards. I grew this a few years ago, but found it rather weedy, so did not bother with it again. I seem to remember that it seeded around. Sorry, no image.

Robin.

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Robin,

Thank you very much, this is exactly the information I needed. I bet the bees were drawn to its flowers! Since it selfseeds so readily I will plant it in a container.

All the best,

Joseph

• cait1
    18 years ago

Hi Joseph,
    I love a challenge so looked on the web, too, and found a small pic of the plant on a Birds of Brazil website. You'll need to scroll down to see the pic.
    In Christine Yeo's 'Salvias II' she writes:
    'This species is a stout, erect annual to 3ft, sparsely branched with slightly hairy stems. The slightly aromatic leaves are ovate with serrate margins and dense pubescence on both surfaces. The small, mid-blue flowers are in whorls of 6 - 10 in very dense, crowded, short spikes to 9in long. The green calyx is covered in dense, white hairs and fully encloses the corolla tube, which extends to the small upper lip, and larger lower lip which is marked white within.'

Cait

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia hispanica

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Cait,

I need to get Christine Yeo's book you mentioned, and if it is in print the previous book (implied by the II in the title). I bought seeds from J. L. Hudson, Seedsman, and have about a billion of them to play with all from 1 packet. It should be interesting to see how the bumblebees receive the plant for a nectar source. I thank you also for the picture link! Have a great day!

Joseph

• penny1947
    13 years ago

I just came here also looking for info on S. hispanica. My plants are now just under 6ft. tal and 3 plants have completely filled in an 8ft. section of fence. In another area where I planted them there must be 50 plants. As of Aug. 12th. there is no sign of a bloom on any of the plants. I may be ripping some of these out tomorrow.

Penny

• hybridsage
    13 years ago

No Pic but you can find pictures of Salvia hispanica(Chia)
    go to stub hollow.com or wellness.com. I grew it last year
    mine bloomed in fall plants were about 3-4 feet tall. Did
    not reseed for me this year.I use the seed for eating
    or mix it with drings.
    Art

• voodoobrew
    13 years ago

Ack, Penny, don't rip them out just yet! Don't you want to wait and see??...

This is one salvia that I'm not growing (yet).

Sponsored