Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question re: pruning salvias

Posted by napapen ca 15 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 07 at 12:31

I have a number of salvia who bloom toward the end of summer.
I would like to keep them shorter. Can I keep cutting back and will they still form flowers.

Thanks Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question re: pruning salvias

I have by 1/2 and they did still bloom..... but I wouldn't wait any longer.

o

MY SALVIA TOO, HAVE BECOME TALL AND SCRAGGLY LOOKING. I HAVE ALREADY CUT THEM BACK, THE 1ST OF JULY AND AM THINKING ABOUT DOING IT AGAIN. HOPE IT WORKS AGAIN.

BRENDA

o

• Posted by skrip z9/sun19/SoCal. (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 9, 07 at 16:40

I've done this to my Mexican Bush Sage many times, and it does come back... even 3 to 4 times a year!

o

My slavias looked great until the real heat set in in July. I have moved most of them to a little more shady area and they are doing better. I want to cut them back though, especially the ones with dead wood like my Autumn Sage. How do I do it. How much do I cut and am I right in assuming new growth will come from the base not on the old wood? Is it true of the others like Coral Nymph and the whites, reds, and blues?

o

Salvia greggii and related woody sages do come back from old wood and should not be cut back unless the wood is brittle and dry. Tahe a piece off a bush that you know to be dead and another that is live, Compare the suppleness/brittleness of the stem and take a pocket knife and scrape off the bark, the next layer is the cambium, and if it is at least light green and damp, it is viable.

You can kill a greggii/microphylla and especially a regla by cutting it to the ground. Treat as a deciduous tree or bush.

I have some S. microphylls Hot Lips that I just retrieved from the compost pile because they are starting to bud out at the leaf axils.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here