Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimcrick

The Plantsman 1994

jimcrick
15 years ago

Anybody out there got a copy of James Compton's article - Mexican Salvias in Cultivation - published in 'The Plantsman' (1994; Vol 15; #4; pages 193-215).

Also, anybody got any ideas for zapping the red spider mite on overwintering Salvias(as I have to do for the 'non-rustique' in Hertfordshire, UK). My plants were clobbered over last winter and it took ages to get cuttings from weakened plants to get going this year.

Finally, if you have not yet got a plant of Salvia oaxacana (now to be called stolonifera according to Christian Froissart's super book), then do so. It is a cracker.

Comments (8)

• rich_dufresne
    15 years ago

I have a Xeroxed copy of the article in grayscale.

Are there any new web images of this stolonifera available? My baby plant just started growing reasonably well a few weeks ago. It has fairly thick, crisp foliage (burgundy underneath) and I can't wait for it to take off.

• robinmi_gw
    15 years ago

Jim,

I have a copy of James Compton's article, and will copy it for you.

Spider-mite has been a problem this year...seems to affect different plants each year. There are no insecticides available to the public which are effective here, good air circulation and regular moisturising of the underside of the foliage helps. Another method, if the plant is in a pot, is to plunge it upside-down into a water-butt or container for a minute, and repeat this every 2 or 3 days. This is, of course not very practical if you have a large plant!

Stolonifera, (it is not oaxacana) is stunning! Seems to be totally hardy....MAY be a bit invasive, but who cares, as it just great!!! It really does not like too much sunshine, as it is from a cloud forest, this has not been a problem this year with our cold, wet, and cloudy summer. Global warming has not reached the UK yet!!!

Richard, I am taking pics of stolonifera, and will post some to you in August. Keep it somewhere cool and shady.

Robin.

• jimcrick
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the replies Richard & Robin - I'll take up your offer, Robin, of a copy of the article.

I've attached some pics of my Salvia stolonifera. The single flowering spike pic was taken 28 June. Now, just 21 days later, it has an additional 12 spikes and there are just as many and more on their way. A large plant or grouping of several would look splendid. Shelter from strong winds is recommended to keep the spikes keeping straight and upright. My plant has spent most of it's time in the sun but, given the weather in the UK this year, that almost equates to being in the shade!

Jim

• jimcrick
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a larger pic of the flowers.

Jim

• rich_dufresne
    15 years ago

I would group this sage as having the same horticultural value as S. blepharophylla, S. chiapensis, or S. buchananii, in other words, as a compact container plant. Not a small one, but useful in planters as well as in borders. Have you seen any stolons? Both buchananii and blepharophylla develop short ones.

• jimcrick
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Richard

My plant, in its first season, is now showing shoots emerging from the soil an inch or two from the prime stem. It would be nice if it proved to be as hardy as blepharophylla in my garden.

Jim

• hybridsage
    15 years ago

Sorry can't help on the article but nice Salvia stolonifera
    miniata and coccinea. Hope Salvia coccinea does not become
    to "weedy" for you in the UK.

• lorna-organic
    15 years ago

I got rid of red spider mites in a garden by planting chrysanthemums and French marigolds.

Lorna

Sponsored