o
Salvia chrysophylla

Posted by jimcrick (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 13:52

A welcome addition to my collection is the Turkish Salvia chrysophylla:

photo Salviachrysophylla07.jpg

A closer look at the flowers:

photo Salviachrysophylla08.jpg

It has proved to be very hardy, coming through the last two winters with developing basal shoots remaining evergreen. I have not managed to root stem cuttings (probably did not keep them cool enough) but basal cuttings (especially of the Irish kind - i.e. with some roots attached) take reasonably easily. Seed is prolific and germinates well. The plant shown is actually self-sown which germinated in the spring of last year. I grow it in a fairly spartan scree bed of about 75% grit, 25% loam and of depth about 12".

photo Salviachrysophylla09.jpg

After the first flush of flowering (lasting some 3 to 4 weeks in the recent hot weather which we have experienced in the UK), I have cut it back hard as shown above to get new growth and a hopefully a second show of flowers.

Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia chrysophylla

Very nice!

o

Nice one, Jim.

o

I'll check with Panayoti and Tony Avent if it is available in the USA.

Limestone slopes, grassy meadows, 1300 - 2250 meters

SW Anatolia: An isolated species but with some similarities to the NW Iranian S. sahendica Boiss. and Buhse and the Afghan S. rhytidea Bentham

In the taxonomic description, this sage is bracketed between S. sclarea and S. aethiopis. I grew S. rhyitideam some time ago, and it was somewhat wooly

Is the foliage at all wooly?

Here is a link that might be useful: Turkish reference to species

o

Richard

I would not describe the leaves as wooly although very young leaves clearly have a noticeable level of hairs. The following pics show the leaves in more detail.

Salvia chhrysophylla leaf 3 photo IMG_3391.jpg

Salvia chhrysophylla leaf 2 photo IMG_3389.jpg

Salvia chhrysophylla leaf 1 photo IMG_3387.jpg

I must admit that descriptions of chrysophylla always give the lower lip of the flower as yellow but my plant is more like a dirty white! Also, the lip has a distinct brown edge (see the pic on Robin's site) which is there as soon as the flower opens. This, I would have thought, would be a distinct point of identification but it does not seem to get a mention. Couild it be that my plant not actually chrysophylla or is the species actually quite variable or is my plant a true breeding hybrid with some other salvia?

Jim Curry

o

The rapid browning of the tip of the lower lip is also a feature of S. indica.

I wonder about the relationships within this group of Turkish-Iranian group of sages.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here