Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ramazz_gw

Not transsylvanica, but regeliana or virgata?

ramazz
16 years ago

I think I have solved my salvia transsylvanica puzzle. I obtained seeds for salvia regeliana and salvia virgata from trades and couldn't recall exactly what either looked like. When I looked for salvia regeliana, I found a picture that is almost a twin for the plant below. I am confused by an entry on Robin's website, does he say that regeliana and virgata are the same? The site where I found the matching picture is http://www.robsplants.com/plants/SalviRegel.php

Becky

Comments (5)

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

Section Plethioshace, which contains all three species you mention as well as S. pratensis, nemerosa, and others seems to be a pretty confused group of plants. I once got a plant called S. baldshuanica Lipsky, which looks a lot like yours. The seed of the S. virgata and S. regeliana I got even further back in time were similar and a lot like the S. amplexicaulis I got at that time also. These three sages were a lot smaller than the S. baldshuanica.

• robinmi_gw
    16 years ago

I was told some time ago that S. regeliana is an invalid name, and that the correct name is S. virgata. Not sure how correct this is, but the only reference to regeliana in Alziar's list is that it is an incorrect name for S. verticillata.....which, of course, is completely different!

Robin.

• ramazz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, whatever this plant is, I like it. It looks like it will produce a considerable amount of seed, too. Which then causes a new problem, that being, what do I label the seed? Since I had 2 sprouts each from the s. regeliana and virgata seed that I got from trades, it will be interesting to see if I have 4 plants that are exactly the same.

Since there are transsylvanicas nearby, is it likely that the two plants could cross-pollinate each other? I also have nemerosa.

Becky

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

Your Salvias will likely cross-pollinate, which is why all open-pollinated seed from a collections garden is always suspect. Many botanical gardens will not accept seed that does not have collection data or is from a garden with other members of the same genus. When getting seed from a source, this is essential information. The virgata, amplexicaulis, and regeliana seed I originally received came from uncontrolled gardens

• ramazz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am not planning on selling the seed or sending it anywhere under false pretenses. I like the upright plant, whether it is virgata, regeliana, or something that arose from a cross in someone else's garden. The real salvia transsylvanica grows more sideways and if it crosses with this one, it might be an improvement. I will list the seed according to which plant it came from and note that the others were possible pollinators.

Thanks for all of the information.

Becky

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths