Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowrpowr

Which Salvias are your Hummingbirds going to?

FlowrPowr
18 years ago

If you grow Salvias, you must have hummers. I was wondering which Salvias do they flock to in your gardens?

In mine, I would say their favorite is Salvia B and B. Over all of them, they go to this one first.

I have also seen then at my 'Indigo Spires', 'Purple Majesty', 'Lady in Red', and a pink Salvia coccinea that I can't remember the name of.

The theme this year in my garden was hummingbird plants, so I am anxious to hear other suggestions on what to plant.

Comments (25)

• wardw
    18 years ago

Every single one: salvia coccinea Lady in Red and Coral Nymph, Black & Black, Uliginosa, microphylla San Carlos Festival and Wild Watermelon, several Greggii types, greggii x microphylla Raspberry Royal and Raspberry Delight, transylvannica, Indigo Spires, Purple Majesty. There are others that haven't bloomed yet. They are also visiting coral bells, stachys coccinea, crocosmia, zinnia, hardy fuschia, fuschia gartenmeister, buddlea hemslyanna, cuphea ignea. By this weekend the first of the tiger lilies will start, and I hope the manettia vines isn't far behind. This fall they should visit salvia mexicana Limelight, Mexican Bush Sage, Pineapple Sage, and another sage that has slipped my mind.

There just doesn't seem to be a favorite this year. My Black & Blues have been a bit slow, so the coccineas along with the San Carlos Festivals have been getting a lot of attention. And lately, at first light, the salvia uliginosa has been getting attention in combination with coral honeysuckle.

Did I over answer your question? One things for certain, we're having fun around the garden.

• CA Kate z9
    18 years ago

Me too. If there's a Salvia in bloom they'll come.

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

My salvia ugliosa isn't blooming yet but they go to the guaranitica and all the greggii's They love the salvia urica's the short and tall one. also savia patens blue angel and salvia buchannii ,blepharophylla (eyelash sage)also miniatta chiapensis indigo spires and black and blue and of course splendens. and caccafolia. Sarah

• klflorida
    18 years ago

hmmm

• wardw
    18 years ago

Westelle's cut to the chase, 'If they bloom they will come' is pretty much true. The exception for me has been the May Night and Cardonna, etc, types. Other than that loose grouping of salvias, Westelle's right.

• FlowrPowr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I guess they do like most salvias. I was just curious if you noticed them visiting one more often than others. I really enjoy having the Hummingbirds around, and would like to encourage more of them to visit! Thanks for the list Wardw. I went all out this year and planted a Hummingbird Garden. I have 3 different types of Phygellius, 5 types of Fuschias, and several salvias. So far, they are paying the most attention to the salvias. Which is one more reason to plant a big variety of Salvias!

• CA Kate z9
    18 years ago

One plant that the Hummers seem to like are the cannas... surprise on that one. Here in my zone 9 they seem to favor the S. involucrata "Mulberry Jam". But, truely, they love whatever is blooming.

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

My hummers go to s. microphylla Hot Lips, S. micro. Orange Doors which is doing very nicely, s. guaranitica Arg. Skies, urica, B & B, scabra,purple majesty and Betsys purple and the faithful s. coccinea. Then I have lots of hamelia patens, cupheas, turks caps & so on.

• hbwright
    18 years ago

I have wanted to find the B&B but have had no luck this season. Maybe next. One thing my hummers have been at constantly here lately is my trumpet honeysuckle. They fight all over the yard for it. Might have to plant a few more around the back too so more can enjoy it.

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

Right now besides the beebalm and cardinal flower They are going to salvia guaranitica greeggii urica and patens in that order. Here are 2 pictures of hummers at greggii and guaranitica

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    18 years ago

Salvia guaranitica, hands down, is the fave nectar source for hummers in my garden.

Joseph

• dazie
    18 years ago

Mine love 'lady in red' and it reseeds so much, they have enough to last thru the migration. They also love B&B, of course. I was hoping to see how they liked Salvia microphylla 'Hot Lips', but haven't had but a few blooms so far this year.:(

HB, I know this is a little late...but check Lowe's for B&B. Most of our local stores in upstate SC have a bunch left.

• susan82
    18 years ago

Leucantha #1
    Chiapensis
    Indigo Spires
    Greggii
    Waverly
    Hot Lips

They love them all! "Plant it and they will come" :)

• skrip
    18 years ago

1. Leucantha
    2. Black & Blue
    3. Hot Lips
    4. Indigo Spires

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

Today while it was raining I watched my hummers go repeatedly to salvia Yvonne's red splendens, Mulberry Jam,
    s. praeclara, s. subrotunda, Betsy's Purple, tall pink splendens, and gorgeous salvia mex. 'Raspberry Truffle'. I think I have a few salvias that aren't supposed to be blooming yet.

Helena

Here is a link that might be useful:

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Christy
    I highly recommend A World of Salvias

Penny

• gnabonnand
    17 years ago

They like my salvia greggi

• FlowrPowr
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm getting jealous reading the posts. I won't be able to put my salvias out for about another month yet. I have been putting them aside at the nursery though. This year I have:

Hot Lips
    California Sunset
    Indigo Spires
    Black and Blue
    Leucantha
    Purple Majesty
    Sinaloensis (Sp.?)

I think that overall, in my garden, they like the black and blue the best. It's funny because I thought that I had read somewhere that hummingbirds can't see the color blue. Has anyone else ever heard that?

• jenn
    17 years ago

Here they go for the S. greggii and S. chiapensis.

• youreit
    17 years ago

I don't know if they can see blue, Flowr, but I read somewhere that they more than likely choose which flowers to visit based on a combination of flower shape and color, as well as nectar, each separately.

For instance, if there's a field full of red and white flowers, all things being equal (i.e., nectar, size & shape), they will definitely go for the red first. Change the amount of nectar produced by the white flowers, and their choices will change accordingly.

Studying hummers; what a GREAT job title that would be! :)

Brenda

• christy2828
    17 years ago

Thanks Penny, I bought three B & B and should be receiving them shortly! Christy

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Your welcome Christy,
    I too am anxiously awaiting on mine to arrive.

flowrpowr
    My salvia babies have been out for a while now they even survived fine the freeze we had a couple of weeks ago with protection. I still have over 50 to plant but I wanted to test the waters with a few. So if I lose these I do have plenty of back up. If it gets a little chilly I just put a flower pot over them for the night. I am between Buffalo and Niagara Falls.

Penny

• sarahb1982
    17 years ago

will thay come to the salvia splenders?????

• aabutin
    17 years ago

This is the first year I introduced salvia to my garden. I bought a couple of Salvia greggii Red at a local nursery and planted them in the corners of my front flowerbed. Less than a week later as I was weeding the lawn, something buzzed right past me and headed straight for the Salvia. At first I thought it was a giant dragonfly or some kind of bug, but then as it hovered by the salvia, I realized it was a hummer. News travels fast when you've got salvia in your garden. I got me a couple of Salvia microphylla Hot Lips to see if the hummers will like that too...

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio