Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rich_dufresne

Salvia Summit at Cabrillo College

rich_dufresne
15 years ago

Is anyone from this group planning on attending the Salvia Summit (August 1 & 2)? I am definitely going and will be in the Watsonville area for a couple days both prior and after.

Comments (7)

• ccroulet
    15 years ago

Alas, no. I see that Robin is attending. It must be a real bargain for him these days!

• helena_z8_ms
    15 years ago

Just wanted to wish you a good trip Rich. Hope you bring back lots of new ones to the East Coast.

Helena

• CA Kate z9
    15 years ago

I'd like to, but my "calendar" has become uncertain and so have to leave it at "hope to" for the time being. It would be nice to meet you and Robin.

• hybridsage
    15 years ago

Rich:
    I know Pat McNeal is planning on attending. I have a
    Hemerocallis Society meeting that week. We are welcoming new
    members plus me being President I really need to be at this
    meeting.I am envious it would be great to meet you Sue,Robin,Christian,Betsy and so many others.

• youreit
    15 years ago

Enquiring minds want to know - how was it??

Brenda

• rich_dufresne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am reviewing and adjusting the digital images right now, in competition with preparation for a talk I am giving in Atlanta. I will post images later.

Robin Middleton had travel complications, and Pat McNeal had a business complication interfere with his plans. Luckily, Aaron Jenks and John Rembetski pinch hit with good talks.

All speakers gave excellent presentations, and I did not detect even a trace of disappointment in any of the attendees over the whole conference. Everyone was relaxed and energized. We left enthused for having a second meeting, perhaps as early as in two but more likely four or five years.

Along with visits to Betsy Clebsch's and Sandi Martin's gardens, and Yerba Buena Nursery, I stayed with Ginny Hunt and had the pleasure of seeing more sages in their splendor.

A visit later in the year would have had many more sages in bloom. Those that were blooming were quite showy for the most part. One of the best was Salvia curviflora, and another was surprisingly S. raymondii. Salvia squalens shows potential. Christian Froisart identified a really mice blue sage in Betsy Clebsch's garden as a cross of S. sagittata and S. macrophylla.

More later.

• robinmi_gw
    15 years ago

Sooner than later, please, Rich. I was so disappointed that I was not able to attend.

Sagittata x macrophylla very interesting. I may have a similar rampant, winter-flowering hybrid, extraordinary sagittate foliage, grey-green colour. Basal horizontal stems root along the ground.

Another new, un-named Salvia, which according to Christian is from sect. Siphonanthae, has resemblances to the above two, but with a large, almost double, lower lip. This is from Peru, and has not grown well here in this very unsettled summer.

Off-topic....but a comment about the beautiful Salvia stolonifera....keep this constantly humid, and away from hot sunshine!

Robin.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living