Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ric_oregon

Greggii from seed

ric_oregon
18 years ago

This year when I collect seed they be labled at that time. My thinking (I guess I was thinking) last year was "I will recognize those at planting time". I was right with the s. greggii. But, instead of having 50 s. black and blue, I had 50 s. patens. One black and blue, it will bloom next week maybe. After giving half away, I have several mass plantings of patens. The ever explanding garden.

Anyway, the question is... none the plants from seed of greggii Dark Dancer are blooming ??? Even the ones that were started last year. I don't see any buds forming. They look healthy and happy. We have had allot of rain this spring/summer, but they are in raised beds and containiers.

I did a search here thinking that I read something last year about this could happen with some salvia. Did not find any help. Hopefully the heat thats coming next week will help.

Thanks

Rick

Comments (11)

• wardw
    18 years ago

Ric, you've been hanging out there a long time with your question. This is the first year I've tried to collect greggii seed so I'm interested in your question too. Someone must have experience in this area; too bad they are not talking. When you plants finally do bloom I'd be very interested how they turn out.

• sassyo
    18 years ago

I stared greggi from seed and they bloomed but not true to color of the mother plant.... from a rose color I have a white and a pink color.

• wardw
    18 years ago

That's what I expected, in fact hoped for. For more of the same cuttings are the way. Did your greggii bloom the first year?

• cait1
    18 years ago

Hi. I've heard it's difficult to get greggi seed to germinate true so most take cuttings as sassyo & wardw pointed out. I've started some seed from S greggii purple and another from something here called S greggii Sierra Pink. Only one greggii purple has greggii-like leaves - margins that are entire. The plant sits between S. greggii Sensation (a pinky-salmony color) and S. Christine Yeo so I'm now waiting to see which crossed with what and will report once they've grown and if they flower. Right now they're just little things. I'm kinda hoping for a cross between the purple and Sensation - what color would come out of a purple and pinky-salmon cross? But I think they're mostly crossed with the Christine Yeo as the leaf margins have some serration to them.

Cait

• mallowmallow
    18 years ago

ric my dark dancer has not produced any seed...the other greggiis produced lots..i figure ill get a cross of all these different greggiis when i plant the seeds as they supposedly cross pollinate easily???

pam

• wardw
    18 years ago

This is the idea. One hopes that with a little luck to find some new a different cultivars. There probably no guarantee that the hardier ones will cross to make other hardy ones, but it's worth the attempt. Currently I'm not getting enough seeds to work with, but maybe during the heavy fall bloom period that will change.

The photos of Christin Yeo really look interesting. That is one that I've never seen offered on the east coast and I'd sure love to know if it is hardy.

• ric_oregon
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi all

Wow... first time I have checked back for a month. wardw is right, I had given up on this post. This forum was allot more active last summer???

Yes, about 75% of the plants are blooming. Although, not as heavy as the parent. I did have to do dead heading this week.. I did top some branches to make them fuller. Hopefully they will bloom heavier as they age and get more pruning.

All of what I have in bloom are different shades/brightness of red. Nothing close to Dark Dancer. The biggest differences I see is the foilage. It would be hard to find two with same size/shape/smell. Other than the three got crossed with s. blepharophylla??? They all have same s/s/s leaves and burn in too much sun.

Some plants have real deep rough texture. I am hoping they are a cross of s. chiapensis. These are not in bloom yet.

A couple of plants that were started last summer have flower buds that are not opening?

I have an older greggii that I transplanted in the spring thats still not blooming. No buds eihter. I put the darn thing in a front and center location.

Rick

• wardw
    18 years ago

I remember that back in the old days, when very little was available at garden centers, I had to grow many of my plants for seed. It wasn't unusual to wait 3 years before they finally flowered. And no, I hadn't heard of things like salvia greggii then. I ask myself, how was I ever that patient? To which the only answer is, there were no options. I'm not that patient now, and besides, it is easier to wait when you've had 20 plus years in the same place, and hundreds of plants in the ground. That certainly wasn't true at the beginning.

Let us all know if you get some really cool greggiis and hybrids from seed.

• ric_oregon
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Of the twenty s. greggii, I will keep three or four of them. The rest, different shades of red (as all were), will be given away. The one of keepers has a good sized white "bee line" in the throat not seen any possible parent shock. Another keeper is the closest to a Dark Dancer. Top of the bloom is all most maroon, fadeing to a brighter red at the lower lip. Another keeper is becauce it's blooms were the biggest. The last keeper because it blooms are ugly, flawed and retared. Best way to explain them is that they are trying to be two blooms in one and it does not know which end is up. It holds it's bud closed alot longer than any other greggii. Then bloom drops after one day. I just want to see what will do next year.

My one B&B from seed is about two weeks (hopefully) from blooming. Most likely it would have bloomed by now, had I not topped it. But, I do like the shape it has become. Looking just like it's mother so far.

Started saving seeds last week.

Rick

• wardw
    18 years ago

Three out of twenty is probably pretty good. Can you imagine how many were grow to get dark dancer? My plants have just not been setting seed lately, in fact it has been almost a month since I found even a single one.

• mallowmallow
    18 years ago

nope nothing no seeds from dark dancer...i wonder why? all the other greggiis have seed....pam

Sponsored