Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sk290

Harvesting seeds from a Cleveland Sage

Sandra Tran
14 years ago

How do you do that? Where are the seeds? When is a good time to do it? Can you plant the seeds immediately if they were already dried in the plant?

Sandra

Comments (4)

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

The seeds are in the base of the calyx (chalice), which the flower emerges from. The seeds, if all have been fertilized, are in a 2x2 array at the base of the calyx. Seed will have to be harvested when it has ripened, since it has a tendency to fall out. The glomerules (cluster of calyxes) act like tumbleweed in order to disperse seed. Seeds are oval shaped and tan to dark brown when ripe.

• ccroulet
    14 years ago

The spent flower heads dry out as the seeds develop. When ready, they open up and the seeds fall out as the wind blows the heads around or as birds perch on the stems (I found that out in my yard). Lesser Goldfinches love to land on the stems and pick the heads for seeds. You can shake the heads over any handy container to harvest the seeds. There's a botanical term for the dried pod that opens up, but someone like Rich Dufresne will have to help with the correct term.

On July 16 I visited a population of S. clevelandii near Margarita Pk. in northwestern San Diego Co. Many plants were still in flower, and the few fresh heads I found would not yield seeds. I'll check again in a few days.

I'll add the following observation: if you're planning to harvest seeds from cultivated plants rather than plants in nature, keep in mind that many -- maybe most -- cultivated "Cleveland Sage" are hybrids with S. leucophylla. I don't know if their seeds are viable or not, and it's probably well past prime harvest time for most of those anyway. That's the case in our area (Temecula, CA) anyway.

• Sandra Tran
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Rich,

I'll take a look at it and see if I can get some seeds for a second plant. Thanks for the information.

Have a great day! :)

Sandra

• ccroulet
    14 years ago

The seeds are best sown in fall and winter. Consider, too, that if all you want is one or two additional plants, S. clevelandii is easily propagated from cuttings, provided they are taken at the right time. If you're in Calif., I'd suggest Feb or Mar to take the cuttings. Definitely not now. For plants elsewhere, maybe Rich has suggestions.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm