My s. album

helena_z8_ms
18 years ago

Just a few of my salvia pictures to share. Helena

Here is a link that might be useful: My Salvias

Comments (26)

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

Helena I love your salvias They are so beautiful!! Tell me about the salvia tingo peru it kind of looks like salvia cacalifolia here what do you think? Where did you get all of your unusual salvias? I love them! Sarah

Doesn't it look like salvia tingo peru? Sarah

• helena_z8_ms
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Obrigrada Sarah, A few of these pictures came out a bit blurry. Hot lips I got from a nursery in New orleans, pulchella (bloomes not quite opened), gesneriiflora, tubiflora and tingo peru or (tingo blue) from A World of Salvias (Richard D.) and Betsy's purple & micro. mulberry jam from Canyon Creek in Ca. Praeclara I got seeds from Seedhunt. It's supposed to grow really tall but it didn't for me. I think tingo peru and cacaliafolia look different to me in flower and leaves. The colors are close. Helena

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

Your pictures are very clear. I will have to order salvias from Richard next year. This year is a little late. I had never seen that tingo peru before that's why I thought the leaves reminded me of cacalifolia. Sarah

• helena_z8_ms
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Did you notice that I can't spell or proof read, mistakes every time. Richard offers salvias that others don't carry, great selection.

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

I didn't notice anything like that. all I noticed is some beautiful pictures of spectacular salvias!! Sarah

• brenda_near_eno
    18 years ago

Beautiful collection!

• rosewomann
    18 years ago

Gorgeous Helena & that reminds me that we NEED to trade again!

• helena_z8_ms
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Brenda and Rose, I've been wondering where you been.

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    18 years ago

Helena you have some fantastic pictures there! wow!!

Joseph

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Helena,
    Did your hummers use the tingo blue and did it bloom early. I have one that I started from seed this year but it is the creeping tingo blue and just starting to bloom (late October)

Penny

• helena_z8_ms
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Penny, my hummers did use the tingo peru, it had quite of bit of seeds that I collected from it. I grew it from seed & it's the creeping one too. It was about to bloom when the cold zapped the bloom last year. I overwintered it in a pot then in spring it went in the garden. It did bloom for me in late spring and summer. I'm overwintering a couple more in pots this year too.

• rosewomann
    18 years ago

Helena, did you post extras? How did I miss the one with you feeding the hummer? How did you get him in your hand?
    They fly away when they even see me watching them from inside!
    Rose

• helena_z8_ms
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I did post a extra awhile back Rose, one of my favorite pictures of holding a hummer. It had flown inside our car while the windows were open. My DH just happen to get in to go out when he spotted the hummer on the floor so he brought it to me, it did stay very still. I fed it from the morning glory, he took pictures then I let it go. I got to hold another hummer the day after Katrina when it flew inside my den trying to get to the feeder on the outside. I caught it, it must have been tired from trying for a while, I fed it too and let it go. By the way my tingo peru from they picture died after being under 12" of salt water while s. red coccinea and coral nymph and s. koyamae survived and are blooming now.

• rosewomann
    18 years ago

The coccineas are really blooming machines- it's hard not to love them!
    Rose

• karen__w z7 NC
    18 years ago

I saw Tingo Blue last summer and have wanted it ever since. The flowers were huge. How tall does it get for you?

On the Salvia 'Paul', how sure are you of the ID? Mine is a dark wine purple.

• helena_z8_ms
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Karen,my two Tingo Peru in pots are 20 to 21" tall, they might grow a little taller in the ground. There's a tall form too from Seedhunt, John from Tx has said that the shorter one is hardier.
    I got my van houtei light orange from Rich but edited the 'Paul' since he no longer uses it either. There are several different colors of it.

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

That tingo peru still looks like cacilafolia to me I guess because I have never seen it in person. Sarah

• karen__w z7 NC
    18 years ago

Helena, I checked Rich's list ... hadn't realized he had accumulated so many color forms of van houttei. I grew 'Carribean Coral' last year and loved it, but lost it when a bunch of cuttings didn't get watered. I've got some seed on 'Paul' now and may have to go sow it to see what comes up.

• helena_z8_ms
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sarah we just going to have to get you one tingo peru. I fell for it when I first saw SG pictures and didn't even know it's real name.
    Karen, I think I'm going to loose my vanhoutei. I tried making cuttings when it was flowring in summer but they didn't take. Hope you get some nice ones from your seeds. Have you seen the Robins picture of his pink (I think it's pink) van houttei. It's gorgeous.

• karen__w z7 NC
    18 years ago

I still need to dig few salvias out of the garden to bring in, including a small van houttei and 'Paul'. That's on the plan for next week. Van houttei has actually overwintered for me in the ground before, but it gets such a slow start that it doesn't amount to much and so I bring in plants or cuttings every year. I haven't seen Robin's picture but will go to his website and look for it.

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

Helena did I send you a cutting of van houttii? Karen would you like me to look for seeds from my van houttii I'll be glad to that and coccinea reseed like crazy in my garden also Helena I'll send you some van houttii as well in either cuttings or seeds

Helena I think next year I will try a tingo peru

Sarah

• helena_z8_ms
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I had a burgundy vanhouttei come back this spring only to be killed by the salt water. But I also had one in pot that is still doing good. I had brought in my favorite salvias plants into my laundry room and my shed to protect them. Thanks for the offer Sarah but you already gave me a lot. Most of the cuttings you sent me have roots and are potted up. I also already have received another salvia order so I guess I should update my list soon.

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    18 years ago

I have to cut back Salvia leucantha 'Midnight', S. involucrata, and S. mexicana 'Limelight'. Would you be able to use them, Helena?

Joseph

• helena_z8_ms
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Joseph, thank you for the offer. You've got mail.
    Helena

• helena_z8_ms
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I updated some more pictures since. Salvia coccinea from Susan in Fl. Salvia subrotunda from Nancy Newfield. I still like salvia praeclara since it was the first to bloom from seed. Salvia gesneraeflora from Richard has been quite showy...
    Helena

• tracey_nj6
    17 years ago

Wow; awesome photo/salvia collection!!!!!!