Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robinmi_gw

Salvia praeclara

robinmi_gw
18 years ago

Hi from the UK,

How has S praeclara performed for you? Ginny Hunt refers to it as S. coccinea on steroids! Over here, it will be 3 ft. tall and in flower 8 weeks after sowing seed. It will then grow to 5 ft. and for the last 2 years gets badly attacked by mildew, which is unusual with South American species. It does have good flowers, but it needs a warm spot with plenty of sunshine, which has not been abundant here this last week. (Tornado in Birmingham...135 mph winds)

Regards, Robin.

Comments (11)

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

My praeclara grew to about 3 ft and started blooming nicely
    untill it got extreme hot and humid. I have very sandy soil and maybe it was in too much sun... it dried up and died before I even noticed. I have a iodantha right next to it that is doing fine. It didn't get any mildew. I did get plenty of seeds to try again in a shadier spot next time.
    Helena

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    18 years ago

Does anybody have a picture of this species? I am trying to figure out a very lovely unknown salvia, and it looks like a S. coccinea but it is too tall for one. Maybe it is S. praeclara. Help!

Joseph

• helena_z8_ms
    18 years ago

Robin has on page 4 on his robinssalvias.com site. My pic turned out a bit blurry on my s. album. Hope this helps.

18 years ago

Here is the mystery salvia, that stands 3.5 feet tall, and the color of the flower in the photograph is true to real life.

Here is a link that might be useful:

18 years ago

A closer look at it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Image 2

• Heathen1
    18 years ago

Don't mean to change the subject, but a tornado in the UK? Didn't know there ever WAS such a thing! Global warming is really hitting Europe hard! Pretty soon, you won't need to have salvias in a Glasshouse. :o)

• robinmi_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, really! About 50 homes were destroyed, but amazingly there were no casualties. Yesterday we had a hailstorm and the whole garden was white...and we are in August!

Not sure if the pictures are praeclara or not. Will look more closely

Robin.

18 years ago

Boy I feel like an idiot, but maybe just a little disorganized. I discovered I had S. praeclara growing in a container on the other side of the house from the mystery plant. Mystery salvia is not S. praeclara, it looks like a coccinea salvia but it is so much taller than any coccinea I have grown.

• DariotJr
    18 years ago

hm, Robin, you got me a little scared now with the tornados and the hailstorms! I hope that this is not like your regular summer conditions. And LOL how far is Birmingham from Reading?

back to the salvias... In your site, flowers of S.praeclara look very similar S.pauciserrata.I was wondering how similar are these two? (even though one comes from Bolivia and the other from Venezuela)

and a S.haenkei question. I've seen it growing in Peru, where it is very abundant around the Cuzco area. I have noticed that it came in many colour forms, different shorts of pinks, all shorts of orange, yellow and red. Have you or anybody else been familiar with this colour variation in the species?

Dariot JR

• robinmi_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Don't worry, violent weather is rare in the UK...though there was a bad tornado on the South coast at Selsey two years ago.

Yes, the flowers of S. praeclara and S. pauciserrata are indeed similar, but the plants are quite different, the latter being much later to flower, and with slightly shiny foliage which does not get mildew.

S. haenkei is indeed a very variable species, I have 3 forms, all scarlet. One has very sticky stems, the other does not. The third has gorgeous flowers, but only a few at a time, which have an almost black colouration on the top of the upper lip. S. haenkei has also hybridised with S. orbignaei in Bolivia, giving rise to some superb forms. See the one I named 'Petra' on my site. I have never seen yellow or orange forms...but I would sure love to!

Re weather, we are now having Greek warmth and prolonged sunshine. What a strange summer we have had! My thoughts go out to the residents of New Orleans...what a terrible catastrophe for such a beautiful city.

Robin.

• robinmi_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Forgot to mention, there is a form of S. coccinea named S. pseudococcinea (not sure if this is botanically correct) which has scarlet flowers and does indeed grow twice as tall as the usual coccinea. Of course, this could be due to climate variations.

Robin.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH