Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paste592

Rookie at salvias -- Dumb questions ahead

paste592
18 years ago

First, I guess I should explain how someone could have been gardening for decades and not ever grown a salvia --- well, I thought they were strictly annuals; every time I'd looked one up it seemed to have been. Then I spotted one I wanted, and it turned out to be hardy only to 7b. So I gave up.

However, evidently I am "meant" to grow a bunch of the things --- I was part of a group reviving a memorial garden, and, after removing the plants, we took out the old soil and replaced it. The old soil was pretty bad, but still better than mine is in spots, so I paid to have it trucked to my yard. I decided to let it stay in a mound while I ssw what might pop up. Mostly weeds, obvious ones, but a few were worth the "is it or isn't it" wait. There were about ten good plants, but the last holdout --- and I was still sure it was a weed until just before it bloomed ---I hope youall will help me identify -- it looks like s. coccinea? splendens? It's close to 2' tall, just one blossom stalk so far, but oodles of buds a-coming. I'll post photos tomorrow.

Should I deadhead? It must be hardy here, since that's where it came from, or did it self-seed? Should it be fed?

More Q's after we figure what it is ---- Robin, after looking at your wonderful website, I can see a ton more of salvias in my future. Photo tomorrow

Pat

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH