Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcail_gw

Salvia Superba Mildew Problem....

kcail
15 years ago

I have a question about Salvia superba. This spring was very cool, wet here in KY. My salvia came up lush, green and perfect. As it began to set its flower spikes about late May/early June, I noticed the leaves from the bottom of the plant turned brown and dropped off.

This leaf die off has been moving upward leaving bare, brown stems with a few brown spotted leaves at the tops and the flower spikes. The leaves become all brown from the spotting (edges inward) and wilt. I have two foot plants with 3/4 of it naked, while the ends still have flowers.

Is this mildew? Or some other fungus? I've also had whiteflies badly this spring.

I have the same leaf conditions on my budleia, my yarrow and my daylillies have not done much this year. These plants all share the same bed.

This bed gets 8 hrs of sun (at least) but our weather has been cool/humid/wet (spring) and warm/hot/humid/wet (early summer)

What should I do?

I've tried biorational fungicides to no avail. Can I just shear the salvia down and have it regrow by Fall? Our growing season ends around late Oct to early Nov. here.

Thanks!

Kcail

Louisville KY

Comments (2)

Sponsored