Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Chinese salvia?

Posted by ramazz 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 07 at 23:19

I have two of these, and one is blooming. I know what seeds I planted, but the flower doesn't match any pictures I found. I have a picture of the foliage, which I hope will help.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Becky

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Chinese salvia?

The foliage and flower color would seem to indicate is Salvia interrupta or one of its cousins, in the same group as S. officinalis and S. candelabrum.

o
Not Chinese!

Richard:

Could it be Ringens? It was late last night and I didn't look up the country of origin. Eastern Europe rather than China, sorry for the error. I looked at the flower again this morning, and there is a little bit of white on the throat - not as dramatic as the picture I saw on the web.

The seeds were supposed to be Ringens, and only 2 of them sprouted out of 10.

Becky

o

I've never grown or seen live plants of S. ringens, but the web images I've seen of it match.

o

I grow Salvia ringens, S. interrupta, S. candelabrum and one that is sold out here as Candelabra Sage (which is most likely a cross between S. ringens and S. candelabrum).

What you have there looks like S. ringens. The flower stems get very long.

S. interrupta tends to stay shorter (around 2.5' for me) and the flowers are different. The leaves are green not grayish green as in S. ringens.

S. ringens hails from the Balkans.

SG

o
Salvia Ringens

Thanks, SG. Does this plant set much seed? I saw bumblebees on it (I have more bumblebees than anything else!). I am withholding judgment on it until it is in full bloom - it has multiple flower stems with buds right now.

Becky

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 7, 07 at 19:15

Where did you get the seeds? Nice plant!

Joseph

o

Joseph:

I bought the seeds, I think from Specialty Perennials. I have two plants. If they produce enough seeds, I will make them available for trade on gardenweb. I think the plant doesn't produce a lot of seed, though.

I would bet that SG has seeds available, too.

Becky

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 14, 07 at 21:23

Thanks, I was hoping I didn't send some oddball your way instead of the one you wanted! LOL

Joseph

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here