Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Light Brown Apple Moth (LBAM)

Posted by rich_dufresne z7 NC (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 07 at 1:13

My plans to import Salvias from Europe and California may have run into a roadblock because of the Light Brown Apple Moth (LBAM). Quarantines of this Australian escape are listed for the San Francisco - Bay area and Thousand Oaks, California, southern England, New Zealand, and Australia. I think that the shipping of perennials has been banned until controls have been established.

The English and California areas are the homes of the best collections of Salvias, so check with your nursery and friends before swapping Salvia cuttings and plants.

Google the pest for ample info on it. It can attack up to 250 different species (including lots of commercially important vegetable and fruit crops), and could naturalize in USDA Zone 8 or warmer. If interested, I can post some of the relevant URLs on this pest.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Light Brown Apple Moth (LBAM)

Since it's here in CA I was curious to see what it looks like and found the link below. I'm wondering if this might be the same "pink" moth that Sassyo complained about in a recent thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: CDFA

o

The outbreak in Sherman Oaks is detailed in the URL listed below. It appears to be in just in a specific neighborhood.

The point here is that both nurseries and potential customers should be monitoring the situation as it develops. There should be no reason for customers to panic if a quarantine has not been issued. Of course, the onus is on the nursery to keep up with the quarantine status, as well as keep an eye out on their stock.

Here is a link that might be useful: CDFA - Light Brown Apple Moth Treatment - Sherman Oaks

o
Learning curve on Light Brown Apple Moth (LBAM)

The URL posted by westelle has a number of useful Acrobat file downloadable documents, including a manual on how to deal with the pest. Other docs deal with prenotification of intrastate and interstate shipments of plant materials.

Don't punish nurseries needlessly. Due diligence is to be expected of both nurseries and their customers.

There are more points to go over on the learning curve with this pest.

o

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 22, 07 at 16:41

Interesting - thanks for that. So LA is an affected area - I will check the CA forum, but I don't remember seeing a post on this. I can already tell from the male and female moth pics that I will have trouble ID'ing the LBAM on the fly. I'm also worried that I could send eggs by mail on seeds I've collected, although my city isn't listed as affected yet.

I think APHIS has an impossible job on their hands and the politics around free trade exacerbate it tremendously. I dealt with them once a decade ago when Russia wanted to export spruce/pine/fir two-by-fours to the US and to get past bark beetle restrictions, the Russians were going to use spent nuclear fuel rods from their subs to irradiate each stud! APHIS was so hamstrung my the Commerce Dept, that it wasn't until a federal judge ruled that the dept. could offer sane restrictions.

Whatever one thinks of free trade, the free movement of pests and pathogens in a natural consequence.

o

If you check the map, you will see it is a 3 x 4 block area of Sherman Oaks, not the whole LA basin. No need to do more than alert plant people to keep an eye out for the pests.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here