Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia Iodantha Furry Flower

Posted by annette68 Qld Australia (aawright68@optusnet.com) on
Thu, Aug 23, 07 at 1:38

I grew some iodantha from seed and the result was a two toned pink furry flowers. I am not complaining, happy with the result, guessing that it must off crossed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia Iodantha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia Iodantha Furry Flower

The flowers in the photo look pretty normal to me for iodantha. Are you comparing them to others you have? The foliage looks most like that of the Huntington form.

The Huntington form is different in having a peloric terminal flower, which is symmetric (five petals at the end of a tube without a hood or lower lips). These flowers are often found at the end of a determinate flower spike. The deep purple flower in the middle of a wild carrot flower head is probably another example.

The flower form is campanulate. The mint family is related to the Campanulaceae (bellflower family) at the subclass or superorder level (take your pick of whose system you want to follow)

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 23, 07 at 12:21

That is gorgeous!

Brenda

o

Well Richard that may be the normal iodantha there but it isnt here, this is the normal iodantha.It is not a furry flower at all.

Cheers A.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia Iodantha normal

o

Oh dear!

Your normal iodantha looks like my purpurea!!! Always thought that there was a muddle with these, as there are many differing forms of each.....and numerous hybrids!

Robin.

o

Ahhhhhhhhhhh Robin my purpurea is purple,do you think my purpurea may be muddled as well:)

A.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia Purpurea

o

A dead giveaway for Salvia purpurea (of at least one form) is the gray farina covering the calyxes. The width to length ratio of the leaves is bigger generally with purpurea from most iodantha forms.

The bronze blush on the growing tops of new foliage and degree of purplish pigment on the under side of the leaves is also useful for separating the various forms of purpurea and iodantha (might as well toss in littae as well, which has both furry flowers and calyxes).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here