Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dariotjr

French Salvia book!

DariotJr
18 years ago

I just found out this french book of salvias, 'Le monde des Sauges' by Cathe Bernabe. Does anybody here have it? I am wondering, since it is quite a new book, if you've found it interesting, if it contains pics of not so common species, etc.

I've already ordered it but I can't wait (those pics on the book cover were enough to make me buy it even though I know that my poor french won't help me a lot lol).

Here is a link that might be useful: Le Monde des Sauges

Comments (12)

• robinmi_gw
    18 years ago

This is a nice book with some really good pictures. Not many rare Salvias are mentioned. There are some errors...e.g. Salvia regeliana is not from Brazil, and is more likely to be S. virgata. Also some spurious info re S. deserta. Then there is the usual confusion re S. interrupta and S. candelabrum. A French dictionary would be useful, of course. But it is definitely worth buying for the marvellous pictures which put those on my website to shame.

BTW next year should see the publication of a really comprehensive French book of Salvias by Christian Froissart.

Robin.

• DariotJr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Excellent! Thanks for the info Robin (to tell you the truth, I was almost sure that you'd have the book!).
    Do you know which Salvia is on the bottom right picture on the cover? Those bracts look good.

By the way, when are these Seventeen and Eighteen pages going to be ready? I've found myself checking every day, can't wait (I'm sure I'm not the only one).

Dariot JR

• robinmi_gw
    18 years ago

I think the picture is of buds of S. fulgens. In the book they refer to S. fulgens 'El Azufe' which I have. It is, for me, a slightly inferior form of fulgens, but the interesting buds look just like the picture.

Thanks for asking, but the next page will not be until the end of September at the earliest. I don't have any new one in flower at the moment, but there should be some next month. I hope to photograph some more in California also.

Robin.

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    18 years ago

Robin,

Do you think Christian will publish an English language edition of his book? It would expand his sales I'd say.

Joseph

• robinmi_gw
    18 years ago

Unlikely.

But I will put pressure on him. There will be far more demand for this book from English speaking people. Even if this does not materialise, I can state that having seen a proof of the original book it will be mind-blowing. The pictures will be brilliant. Even if you do not speak French, the texts should be easy to understand, with the assistance of a French/English dictionary.

Robin.

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    16 years ago

Well, I bought Christian's book, and a French-English dictionary that is on CD. I know I will learn great information on salvias and may even learn some French in the process!

Joseph

• robinmi_gw
    16 years ago

I hope to receive this book shortly...there is no doubt that it will be the best and most informative book about Salvias ever published.

• robinmi_gw
    16 years ago

I received Christian's new book this morning....it is a masterpiece....a MUST HAVE for anyone interested in Salvias. The French is not difficult to understand, though a dictionary does help!

• jxa44
    15 years ago

would someone please provide the full title of the book, the isbn and a source for purchase. i searched Amazon's book selection for "Salvias by Christian Froissart", and received no results :-(

• robinmi_gw
    15 years ago

La Connaissance des Sauges by Christian Froissart.

ISBN No. 978-2-7449-0735-7

Published by EDISUD www.edisud.com

• ccroulet
    15 years ago

I went into amazon.fr, listed at the bottom of the Amazon home page, and found this book within seconds.

• voodoobrew
    13 years ago

I finally took the plunge and ordered this book. Let's see how much French I can remember from my studies... hehe. Anyway, it was overall a bit cheaper from Amazon UK (including shipping price), and there is only one left in stock! :)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals