Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yellow spots on S. vanhouttii

Posted by phylica none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 4:49

Hi
We have a big crop of salvia vanhoutii plants with large, clear yellow spots on the leaves. The remainder of the leaves look good. Virus? WE don't feel that we can sell them without knowing the nature of the problem. I emailed a picture to Betsy Clebs, and she has never had a similar problem. Have you?
Anni J

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yellow spots on S. vanhouttii

The variety 'Dancing Flame' is variegated with spots. Post a picture for an ID.

o

Interesting to see the 'Dancing Flame'. I think that the yellow in our leaves look similar, though the variegation is not as thorough.

o

Looks more of a virus then the normal variegaged splendens,
The variegated van houteiis are spotted all over,you can get
the variegated form in about 8 colours here in Oz,I love them.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia variegated van houteii

o

I see it occasionally as well, but most plants outgrow it.

Can you tell us more about the other colors found on the variegated forms? Do they have the same habit?

o

Richard,

I have just purchased a heap of the variegated form and the flower colour selection is great,I brought apricot,burgundy,burgundy/white,pink/white,apricot,plum/purple and I have the white one, these are tall growing splendens to about 4-5 foot, some have a few spots scattered and some of
them are highly spotted and stay highly spotted.This is a pic
of the mauve flowering one, just waiting for the others to come into flower, the pics of the burgundy/white are to die
for I cannot describe the colour but have seen it in the
catalogue that I purchased from, mine are planted where
they get morning sun and afternoon shade and settling right
in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia variegated mauve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here