Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
river_crossroads

How to overwinter S. guaranitica in z8b?

Hi all, the weather is boiling hot and there is talk in another thread about overwintering. What a cool topic, right?

The other thread says not to cut back a woody salvia before winter. Are all salvia woody stemmed or only certain ones?

Could you tell me how to overwinter my 2 new S. guaranitica, Purple Majesty and Van Remsen? (Pretty little plants that I got recently from Rich Dufresne, both hybrids, so maybe the question is not so simple.) I think that both are supposed to die back in the winter and reliably return in the spring in my climate - z8b, heat zone 9.

1) Should I cut them back before the first hard freeze? (Avg first frost date Nov 23), 2) Wait and cut off dead parts after the first hard freeze? 3) Do nothing until after leafing out well next spring and then cut off the dead parts? (Probably this last one but I prefer fall clean up if possible.)

Mulch or not? My climate is wet and cutting down and mulching over usually produces a rotten, dead plant. Cutting down to apx 4 inches and surrounding by thick leaves that can dry out is usually best here if cutting down and mulching is recommended. Thanks so much!

Comments (7)