Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia ID

Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 27, 09 at 8:56

Hi,
This salvia came up in a pot with my salvia subrotunda. I believe it is a S. coccinea. Only problem is the red is a cherry red, not hot red like normal. The first photo I bent a S. subrotunda flower over so hopefully you can see the color difference since I don;t think the color comes out clear on its own. Well, maybe it will for you.

Thanks,
Remy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia ID

It's a form of Salvia coccinea.

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 27, 09 at 18:04

Is there a known cultivar that is this color? I know some variations, Coral Nymph, Snow Nymph, etc., but I don't know one that is this kind if red.
Thanks,
Remy

o

The sage to the left in the first image looks like S. subrotunda, based on calyx distribution in the spike, flower shape, and relative large size of the foliage.

o

Thu, Aug 27, 09 at 22:27

Rich,
You must of missed what I wrote. I know that is S. sunbrotunda. I bent the S. subrotunda flower raceme into the pic to show contrast of the colors because the S. coccinea plant in the pot is not the normal S. coccinea red.
Remy

o

Remy:
What size is the bloom spike? The colors of your coccinea
look like "Lady in Red" very distinctive green calyx.
Is this seedling one you had come up on its own?
Art

o

Sun, Aug 30, 09 at 9:59

Art,
Yes it is a seedling that popped up in the pot. I have had my memory jogged, and I do believe in the same big pot I planted the S. subrotunda in is the pot from last year that I planted other flowers, petunia, etc, but in it included the salvia which I thought was Lady in Red. Maybe I was wrong about the salvia last year. The red from last year is not the same shade of red this year. Could it just be a weather related aberration? Can salvias be affected like that? I know some of my roses have color changes when the weather is much cooler or hotter than normal.
Remy

o

Well, Salvia coccinea and S. subrotunda are closely related. Does the plant seem to suggest a hybrid to you>

o

Remy:
I have seen flowers in warmer climates(Especially red ones)
not be sun fast or fade to pink tones. But Rich has a excellent point, you may have a hybrid. The bloom spike seems very long for just being a coccinea.With the density of bloom and a higher bud count may suggest a plant of hybrid origin or a improved form.
Art

o

Sun, Aug 30, 09 at 21:56

Thanks Guys! I will save seed and see what happens next year.

Art,
It is more densely packed with blooms than normal. Hopefully it is not a fluke and will look the same next year.
Remy

o

It does look like Lady in Red to me, but the wrong colour. You may have something new there! If it makes seed, sow as many as you can and see what you get - maybe a range of interesting shades!

o

Mon, Sep 21, 09 at 17:00

Drusilla,
I saved a bunch of seeds already. I'm looking forward to seeing what I get next year.
Remy

o

Remy :
You may want to take some cuttings off the S.coccinea
so if the seed is of hybrid origin you still have the original. It would be interesting to collect seed from
the subrotunda to see how seed of pod parents Vs.
pollen parents. Just a suggestion.
Art

o

Good advice from Art. I can't keep S coccinea cuttings through the winter as I don't have heated glass, so it didn't occur to me, but hang on to that colour if you can!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here