Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remy_gw

Salvia ID

remy_gw
14 years ago

Hi,

This salvia came up in a pot with my salvia subrotunda. I believe it is a S. coccinea. Only problem is the red is a cherry red, not hot red like normal. The first photo I bent a S. subrotunda flower over so hopefully you can see the color difference since I don;t think the color comes out clear on its own. Well, maybe it will for you.

Thanks,

Remy

Comments (13)

• gaia-project
    14 years ago

It's a form of Salvia coccinea.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Is there a known cultivar that is this color? I know some variations, Coral Nymph, Snow Nymph, etc., but I don't know one that is this kind if red.
    Thanks,
    Remy

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

The sage to the left in the first image looks like S. subrotunda, based on calyx distribution in the spike, flower shape, and relative large size of the foliage.

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rich,
    You must of missed what I wrote. I know that is S. sunbrotunda. I bent the S. subrotunda flower raceme into the pic to show contrast of the colors because the S. coccinea plant in the pot is not the normal S. coccinea red.
    Remy

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

Remy:
    What size is the bloom spike? The colors of your coccinea
    look like "Lady in Red" very distinctive green calyx.
    Is this seedling one you had come up on its own?
    Art

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Art,
    Yes it is a seedling that popped up in the pot. I have had my memory jogged, and I do believe in the same big pot I planted the S. subrotunda in is the pot from last year that I planted other flowers, petunia, etc, but in it included the salvia which I thought was Lady in Red. Maybe I was wrong about the salvia last year. The red from last year is not the same shade of red this year. Could it just be a weather related aberration? Can salvias be affected like that? I know some of my roses have color changes when the weather is much cooler or hotter than normal.
    Remy

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

Well, Salvia coccinea and S. subrotunda are closely related. Does the plant seem to suggest a hybrid to you>

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

Remy:
    I have seen flowers in warmer climates(Especially red ones)
    not be sun fast or fade to pink tones. But Rich has a excellent point, you may have a hybrid. The bloom spike seems very long for just being a coccinea.With the density of bloom and a higher bud count may suggest a plant of hybrid origin or a improved form.
    Art

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Guys! I will save seed and see what happens next year.

Art,
    It is more densely packed with blooms than normal. Hopefully it is not a fluke and will look the same next year.
    Remy

• drusilla
    14 years ago

It does look like Lady in Red to me, but the wrong colour. You may have something new there! If it makes seed, sow as many as you can and see what you get - maybe a range of interesting shades!

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Drusilla,
    I saved a bunch of seeds already. I'm looking forward to seeing what I get next year.
    Remy

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

Remy :
    You may want to take some cuttings off the S.coccinea
    so if the seed is of hybrid origin you still have the original. It would be interesting to collect seed from
    the subrotunda to see how seed of pod parents Vs.
    pollen parents. Just a suggestion.
    Art

• drusilla
    14 years ago

Good advice from Art. I can't keep S coccinea cuttings through the winter as I don't have heated glass, so it didn't occur to me, but hang on to that colour if you can!

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor