Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
questions about collecting seeds from salvias?

Posted by first_time_gardener 6a (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 18, 06 at 8:59

This is my first year growing salvias, but I have a few different varieties between two gardens. I have victoria white, salvia evolutions, bonfire salvia, and ones that just say 12 pack on the tag - grow to about 12 inches.

As far as the Bonfire, and 12 pack go I have figured out where to get the seeds on them but have yet to figure out the victoria white and the evolutions. Was wondering if someone could explain to me where I would find seeds on the plants and possibly describe or post a pic of what they look like.

thanks would greatly appreciate any help or advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: questions about collecting seeds from salvias?

See my old thread:

Saving seed of New World Sages
Posted by: Rich_Dufresne z7 NC on Wed, Aug 25, 04 at 13:12
10 follow-ups, last one posted on Thu, Nov 3, 05 at 9:01

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Development in the Ovary

o

Thank you so much that was a big help! Was able to find a few seeds last night!
Thanks

o

I like to cut off the flower stalks and stick them upside down in a paper bag.... they fall out and voila... seeds! It's my high tech way. :D

o

sounds like less work and a little less tedious (sp?). Going to have to try that one next. Do I need to wait until a certain point to do that ie when they seem to be done blooming?

thx

o

I wait till the seeds start turning brown. You lose a lot that way, due to them turning brown at different times, but then, you might have reseeding in the same place, so I usually don't care... but I am a relaxed seed collector. You can also collect the early brown turners by shaking the stalk over a plate or something to catch the seeds, depending on which salvia you are collecting... some are more stubborn.

o

I run down to my salvias everyday and stickybeak inside the calyxs it is fun, I noticed my salvia greggii navaho pink have set seeds, they are cool to watch when the seeds are ready the calyx actually bursts open and you can see the shiny black seeds are ready to collect,before they burst you feel the calyx and you know which ones have seeds they are full but the calyx is closed. Other salvias you can look inside to see seeds forming, it is an adventure with different salvias doing different things.

Enjoy:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here