Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvias Hot lips and Moraschino hardiness

Posted by cannadoit 7b/8a (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 11, 09 at 10:45

I bought these salvia plants back at the beginning of the summer with much enthusiasm! lol

I wonder if some others in my zone could shed some light for me on how reliable either of these plants have returned for them.

I haven't planted them in the ground yet for fear of them not returning...so I found huge pots and planed them...hoping my skiddishness would subside.

Any and all replies would be greatly appraciated.
If you do not mind, when letting me know if they did..or did not come back, could you also let me know where you planted them in your garden? Thanks!

I'm in zone 7b/8a....prolly a little more toward the 8a than 7b however.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvias Hot lips and Moraschino hardiness

"Hot Lips" isn't very hardy. I live in zone 7 and I lost it all the winters.
You can planted them in full sun, and sandy soil, like other Salvia microphylla.

o

They are both hardy throughout zone 7, so go ahead and get them in the ground. Plant in well-drained soil in sun ('Maraschino' seems to appreciate a little afternoon shade). The big thing to remember is not to cut down the dead winter branches till you see new growth appear in the Spring.

o

Thanks ladies.....I have no sandy soil at all....I do have rich soil thats been super ammended over the years from the Carolina red clay.....I think I might plant Maraschino and keep Hot Lips in the pot and move her into the greenhouse over the winter. lol

o

Ladies?

o

If the crown stays dry enough in winter I think Hot Lips will be hardy for you. Last winter mine suffered damage in zone 7 when temperature dropped to about 3 degrees in January and nearly that low at the end of February. Still, 6 of 8 eventually did return, albeit slowly.

o

I also live in the cusp of 7B/8A in Olympia, WA, 60 miles south of Seattle. Low temps the last few years have been in the 12 - 18 range. I have been growing Hot Lips for a few years and they usually die out if I leave them in the ground. Despite the wet winters I usually don't lose plants that are fussy about winter drainage because my soil is clay-free. Some greggii/microphylla types do come back just fine so I'm not sure what the difference is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here