Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drema_dianne

Can you tell me the name of this salvia?

drema_dianne
15 years ago

Hi. I saw a salvia today that looks a lot like hot lips, except it is pink and red instead of red and white. Can you tell me what it is? Thanks

Comments (7)

• rich_dufresne
    15 years ago

Do you have an image of it to post?

• drema_dianne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, it is at a local restaurant, I will try to get a pic.

• annette68_gw
    15 years ago

It sounds very pretty, would love to see an image:)

• CA Kate z9
    15 years ago

Wasn't this on a thread a couple of summers ago? I seem to remember that it actually had a name because my DD had one when she lived in the Bay area.... definitely white with coral pink lips.

• jonzilla
    15 years ago

I wonder if it's just the natural variation in "hot lips"? I was coming on here to try to figure out what I purchased last spring, as it wasn't labeled, and it looks like it is "hot lips". If so, it has been a highly variable plant for me. I've had all red and all white blooms, and have had an offshoot plant develop that is very pinkish in flower color. I'll take a picture today and post it the next time I'm online.

According to http://www.paghat.com/salviahotlips.html --
    "It has bi-color flowers white with red lips. Actually, the flowers are often quite different bloom to bloom even on a single branch. A few are entirely white, a few more are completely red, & the majority are bi-colored. The sprinkling of all-white or all-red blooms does not mean it is reverting to "normal" even on one branch; every branch merely is that unstable in color expression, but with a decided preference for the largest number of bi-color flowers."

• hybridsage
    15 years ago

Jonzilla;
    Salvia microphylla "Hot lips" color is variable with heat(Full sun conditions) it remains coral if you give it some shade it will open white and coral as it cools down it goes to various stages of being "Hot Lips". Depenting on climate many Salvia greggii and microphylla cultivars exhibit two flower colors on the same plant. Yesterday's bloom will be pink while todays is red this happens in the summer for the most part.Not all salvia flowers are colorfast in the heat of summer.You can have variations during freezes too.They make gardening fun reguardless.
    Art

• rich_dufresne
    15 years ago

I've always seen the flowers of Hot Lips as either a pure white or a strong medium red, with only variations in the boundaries of the zones. I have not seen any white/pink forms of Hot Lips (or any other plant)doing the same thing. Hot Lips is unique amongst all other flowering plants, to the best of my knowledge.

Sun bleaching of the color to a lighter shade can happen in some selections, especially with Zaragoza. The older flowers fade in color on the second day, usually uniformly, giving the bush's flowers a multi saturated look.

The hue does not shift towards salmon or coral, let alone to lavender or orange. That would define a third kind of color transition. One has to be careful with apparent hue shifts when unsaturating a particular hue. For instance, pink is not light red. It is more accurately defined as light magenta. Rose is on that axis also.

You can experiment with colors in Photoshop's Color Picker, which lists colors in four different color spaces: CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, and black - colors when added darken the object by absorption of light, as in printing); RGB (red, green, blue - color when added together create ultimately white, as in monitors and in photography); HSB (hue, saturation, and black - where zero saturation and zero black is white, 100% saturation and zero black is the pure color, and 100% black is just that no matter what the other values are. The number of the hue is the color on a rainbow wheel, read like a clock from 0 [red] to 359). I have not begun to study L*a*b color, and it is not relevant anyway.

Another color surprise is that by graying yellow, one can create a pseudo green, and these colors are found in images of leaves (again, play with the colors in Photoshop). Brown is hard to define, but is usually a grayed orange, with shifts to either the red or yellow side.