Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia flocculosa (or 'Rio Bamba')

Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 23, 11 at 11:15

I have a Salvia labeled 'Rio Bamba' that I bought at the Fullerton Arboretum a few years ago. I posted about it in this forum and Robin suggested it looks like Salvia flocculosa, and indeed her photo looks just like mine.

Mine is growing well in a spot that gets sun until about 1:00, then bright shade with a tiny bit of late afternoon sun, and seems quite happy. Growth is lax (which I like) and I suspect would be more compact with all-day sun.

I found a few seedlings of it here and there which I potted up. I would like to put one of them on the west side of the patio where it will get hot afternoon sun and a little morning sun. I'm hoping for the same open graceful lax growth there.

Does anyone know how much sun this plant prefers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia flocculosa (or 'Rio Bamba')

• Posted by wcgypsy 10 / Sunset 23 (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 23, 11 at 22:25

I have one plant bought as salvia flocculosa and another bought at Fullerton as 'Rio Bamba'. Robin said it looked like flocculosa and I'm sure he was right. Both of mine are identical. In fact, I have 'Ecuador Blue' also, which looks the same to me. They are all planted in full sun and growth is lax. I suspect I will have to do more cutting back to make the growth more compact if that's what I want. The 'flocculosa' is in a large pot and I like the lax growth in that situation. The 'Rio Bamba' is in the ground and in that spot I would like more compact growth, so it will be cut back.

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 24, 11 at 9:25

Thank you; it sounds like growth tends to be lax, which I happen to like in this particular plant. It has a very graceful appearance. Bees love it.

o

• Posted by wcgypsy 10 / Sunset 23 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 24, 11 at 10:45

I feel the same about quite a few different plants. I like them to be wispy and graceful rather than stocky and compact...salvia Waverly, a double flowered blue Rose of Sharon, etc....

o

This year I received seeds of Salvia 'Curtis Blue', lovely plant, sure it is Salvia flocculosa. Seems to like the English climate.

By the way, JENN, Robin is a boy's name in the UK!!!

o

• Posted by jenn SoCal 9/19 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 25, 11 at 9:28

Robin: My sincere apologies. I know Robin can be male (UK) or female (US) but thought I'd seen "her" and "she" in reference to you, but apparently not (unless that other person made the same erroneous assumption).

o

Jenn: Absolutely no problem! Though never forgave my parents for giving me that name!

o

I hope to try Salvia flocculosa here in the Southeastern US as bee forage.

It could be formidable if it blooms from late spring thru autumn, when nectar flows stop with tulip poplar and resume in the autumn with New England aster.

The lack of a nectar source during hot summer months contributes to colony collapse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here