Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
youreit

Salvias in Chico, CA

youreit
16 years ago

I get a b-day trip to Floral Native Nursery in Chico, CA, on Saturday, and I'm wondering if anyone has bought Salvias from there in the past, and your experiences with them.

At the top of my list are S. brandegei, dorrii, leucophylla, and mellifera, since I don't have any of these yet. I have Betsy's book, but any personal pointers would be welcome. :)

Brenda

Comments (5)

• dicot
    16 years ago

Those seem like very good choices. You might consider Salvia pachyphylla (mountain desert sage, rose sage) as well, its one of the prettiest for central CA.

{{gwi:192839}}

• dicot
    16 years ago

Another really interesting, extremely drought resistant sage is Salvia funerea - Death Valley sage. Its rare to see anyone growing this in their yard. Great for an unwatered/relatively dry section of a Central CA yard.

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, those are so pretty! That funerea's foliage is incredible!

Actually, I live down near Sac, and I'll be traveling up to Chico and Redding for one night. Those others you mentioned aren't on FNN's plant list, but I'll keep my eye out for them in the future.

Thanks so much for your input!

Brenda

• rich_dufresne
    16 years ago

Are you going to visit Canyon Creek Nursery as well?

• youreit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ooo, thanks for the reminder, Rich! I researched them a while back, and found out they're at the Chico Farmers' Market every Saturday, March-October. We've planned another trip for Labor Day weekend, so I hope they have plenty of their Salvias lined up for me on the 1st! :)

Brenda

Sponsored