Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freshair2townsquare

annuals or perennials?

Howdy ~

I'm just discovering salvias and I'm a little confused, so I hope y'all can help a bit.

In general, which salvias are annuals and which are perennials?

Comments (8)

• CA Kate z9
    15 years ago

In your area they are probably all perennials... at least they are in California. Some are more tender and might not survive an unusually cold winter. I lose more tender Salvias to our summers' heat and dry conditions than cold.

• rich_dufresne
    15 years ago

Does DFW stand for Dallas - Fort Worth? There are many broad-leafed American subtropicals that would survive in a well-managed cold frame.

Few Salvias are monocarpic, that is, they die after bearing seeds. Others are perennials grown as annuals because they are tender.

Greggiis, microphyllas, guaraniticas, farinaceas, involucratas (including puberulas) are hardy for you in central Texas.

• freshair2townsquare
    Original Author
    15 years ago

rich & westelle ~

Yep, DFW = Dallas & Fort Worth. Central would be more Austin & the Hill Country. We're North Central, in some ways more similar to Oklahoma. Different weather, different soils, different music, etc. That rumor you may have heard about the Texas annexation clause that we could split into as many as five smaller states is true.

Anyway (non-working history teacher - sorry about that), so are y'all saying Salvias are annual/perennial based on my climate rather than the plant itself?

• rich_dufresne
    15 years ago

Yes, the climate is the major determinant. Different parts of the country are better for different groups of Salvias. For instance, steppe sages from Turkey and central Asia do best in the Front Range from Wyoming down through New Mexico, Chinese sages do best along the Pacific coast, from central California to Washington state, the common European sages are best in the Northeast and westward, and the broad leaf subtropical sages of Latin America do best in southern California. Mediterranean sages (including most South African ones) thrive best in coastal California, and xeric (desert) ones also do well in the desert southwestern USA.

You have to be familiar with your own climate to determine which sages are optimal and which others can work with a little more effort.

• hybridsage
    15 years ago

Freshair
    The Ft.Worth Botanic Gardens has a nice collection of
    Salvias that would be a good place to start.I have grown
    some of Rich's Salvias here in Austin S. microphylla
    Cherry Cheif does well here.Dark Dancer will do better for
    you it really likes the water poured to it for bloom time.
    Some others I have seen at Ft Worth is S.greggii "Pink
    Preference" S.farinacea "Augusta ,Henry Duelberg". Stay
    away from S.Farinacea "Victoria" and the Evolultion Series
    the performance as perennials is dismal.The Jamensis Hybrids (Sierra San Antonio) as a whole cannot take our heat. S.guarnitica "Black and Blue" works well too it needs lots of space to run and shade from afternoon sun.

• freshair2townsquare
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hybridsage ~

a) shoot! - just bought a bunch of "victorias" and a couple of "evolutions"

b) what is the point of having a salvia named "san antonio" if it can't "take our heat" - doesn't that seem a bit oxymoronic?

c) thanks for the list

~ amy

• hybridsage
    15 years ago

Freshair
    Good Point! Whats in a name ? The name refers to the location where the plant was found in Mexico. I know
    this plant is sold in San Antonio too.The odd thing
    is it winters over fine and produces good viable seed.
    The seedlings do great because they are hybrids from
    plants that are from lower elevations making them more heat Hardy.

• drusilla
    15 years ago

Of course the plants are either annual or perennial (or biennial!) regardless of where they are grown but everyone has assumed that you mean 'Which ones will come up every year in my garden?'. That probably IS what you mean and I can't answer the question since I live a long way away and have a very different clmate.

However, some of the true annuals do work quite well in various climates, adapting their growing and flowering times to local conditions. If your summers are very hot, you would probably need to sow autumn or winter and let them do their thing in spring. They would probably self-sow (reseed?) freely and give you a nice display each year without much input on your part.

I particlarly like S algeriensis (syn. maroccana), pretty smoky blue-mauve colours, and S roborowskii, primrose yellow. S viridis (syn S horminum) is grown less for its flowers than the striking coloured bracts at the top of the stems - pink, purple, white. I would avoid S tiliifolia, which has a certain charm despite its tiny flowers, but produces seed by the ton and really is a weed!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County