Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cuttings from abroad??

Posted by matias_busch (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 31, 07 at 13:05

Have someone experience in sendig by mail cuttings or small plants?

Here in Argentina there are some people that made an experience with s. divinorum cuttings, and aparently that works.

My interest is know if I could have some salvias that is difficult to have from seed, and easy from cutting, and impossible to find in Argentina.

An example is S. Madrensis

thanks

Matias

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cuttings from abroad??

Hi Matias,

My Salvia madrensis has set some seeds you are welcome to try some,Salvia seeds are really easy to germinate, Surface Sow the seeds and they will germinate, the only thing you have to remember is to surface sow as they need light to germinate, Are you allowed cuttings from overseas?, A lot off countries dont allow it,very strict customs here and no cuttings are allowed.

Cheers Annette

o

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 2, 07 at 18:48

The same restrictions exist here in California, Matias, but I would be willing to send/exchange salvia seeds with you. I know there are a broad range of ecosystem types in ARG, so I don't know how these would do for you, but all of these are adapted to hot, dry conditions with little summer rain or humidity:
Salvia apiana
Salvia clevelandii 'Winifred Gilman'
Salvi greggi (red flowers, unknown cultivar)
Salvia mellifera
Salvia mellifera 'Tera Seca' (low growing)
S. 'Alan Chickering' - (S. clevelandii x S. leucophylla cross.

All of these seeds are open-pollinated.

o

thanks annette, Ive no idea of argentinian restrictions for cuttings, Ive to ask first.

thanks dicot, now Its very exciting to see growing some salvias that gerry sent some month ago.

Now, its time for spring here!!!

my email is insert1@fibertel.com.ar

o

I have sent cuttings by mail (within the US). I prepared cuttings as I normally would for planting (about 15 or 20 cm of stem, a couple of leaves on top, leaves removed from at least one leaf node at the lower end of the cutting), wrapped the lower half of the cuttings in moist paper towels, wrapped the entire bundle in a plastic bag, and packed them all in a cardboard tube or box. Cuttings can survive a week or more this way, provided they do not get too hot. Cuttings shipped this way seem to grow almost as well as fresh cuttings.

o

thanks ladyslppr

so, it seems to work, as here with s. divinorum

but we have to check law restrictions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here