Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ferguson303

Tall Red Salvias

ferguson303
14 years ago

I have a couple of Tall Red Salvia that I would like to re-seed but do not know how. Where can I purchase more? My Hummingbird love them.

Comments (15)

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

ferguson303:
    Do you have some pictures of which Tall Red Salvia
    you are looking for?
    That way we can direct to the right people.
    If You don't look at 2 websites
    1) Robin's Salvias
    2)A World of Salvias
    and see if you can find what Salvia you have.
    I will just take a stab in the dark and say
    Salvia Vanhouttei. Let us know....
    Thanks
    Art

• ferguson303
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Can't figure out how to post photos.

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

I f you go to the two websites I listed
    you should be able to find your salvia.
    Sorry about the incorrect english on my previous post
    Art

• ferguson303
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tip. I checked out both sites and there are so many that mine could be it is so hard to guess. My little hummingbirds love them so I want to get more.

Any one that wishes to get rid of any seeds, I would more than welcome them. It is so hard to get anything to grow well in this Texas heat and Salvia thrive in it.

Michael

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

Michael:
    Where are you in Texas? My Salvias are looking pretty
    bad here in Austin.I am having to hand water twice a week. The S greggii & microphylla are even struggling.
    Art

• ferguson303
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am in Fort Worth. I water every other day, the Texas heat is hard on everything including me.

Michael

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

Michael:
    Freshair2townsquare is in the Ft worth area also.
    they have S.farinacea "Henry Duelberg" and some Salvia greggii as well.Depending on your type of salvia you should
    be able to root cuttings without any problem.If your watering every other day it may be a tropical variety
    which should root pretty easy right now.
    Let me know if you need some more info.
    Art

• ferguson303
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Freshair2townsquare, is this a person or a place? I will have to research it. I may try to do the root cuttings, never done it before and not sure how to but it's worth a shot. I collected some seed from the heads, going to try that too.

Michael

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

Sorry about that freshair2townsquare is a forum name.If
    your plant is producing seed they should be brownish black
    when ripe. If it is a hybrid you may also have some different colors show up.If cuttings don't work now try
    again when it cools down.
    Art

• castro_gardener
    14 years ago

Hi Michael. Try to root stem cuttings on your salvia. It's quite easy. I do it often when pieces break off accidently. Use maybe a 4-5 inch piece of stem. Take off the leaves from the lower half which will be in the soil. If there are large leaves, I usually cut most of them off, or cut the leaves in half to allow the energy to go toward roots, and not keeping leaves alive. Stick these stems in a pot of potting soil and keep fairly moist. You may lose some, but you will be able to see progress when they start putting on new leaves. I keep mine in their pots until I get some good growth on them, then I separate them into one pot per stem, giving them room to grow. Then they usually end up at the plant swap for give away ! :-)

Please feel free to email me directly through My Page if you would like any more information.

patty

• ferguson303
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I collected the seed heads and will try again with planting the seed. Did that this spring and none of them made it. Will try to build a hot box and see if I can get them going in it. I will get some of the stems and try that. How long before they take root?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

I found that the salvia cocciinea were very sluggish about sprouting in the spring in my 4" pots. I suspect they like a bit of over wintering outside because they were coming up all over my garden. I bet you have salvia coccinea. They also grow well in the shade. . They are very common here in Texas. Yes, I am another texan. Salvias are great for our Texas heat. My Greggii pink preference is blooming up a storm. I only occasionally water it (once a week MAYBE). Another red that it could be is s. Darcyii and they are doing well in this drought.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia cocinea

• ferguson303
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a photo that I have posted on Flickr with one of the Hummingbirds. The Salvia is about four feet tall and will bloom is cycles. I water every one day because it's mixed with other plants like the Angel Trumpet which has a hard time dealing with the Texas heat.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33709175@N04/3818775805/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33709175@N04/3819581330/

Will have to copy and paste the links.

Michael

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

What you have is S.coccinea you will have lots of seedlings
    come up next spring or do some cuttings it roots real easy.
    Art

• ferguson303
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you very much Art. They have been in the same location for two years now and still no new seedlings. Couple days ago I took a plastic shoe box size container, filled with potting soil and clipped around a dozen cuttings that I dipped in root hormone which I placed into the box. I have it in my garage out of the sun, but they do get light since my door is open most of the day. I am keeping the soil moist but not soaked but they look terrible, I don't think they will make it.

Sponsored