Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID help needed

Posted by juneroses Z9a-Lady Lake, FL (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 19, 09 at 13:43

Despite going through the very excellent pictures and descriptions available at both "A World of Salvias" and "Robins Salvias", I still can't ID the following two plants (maybe that's because they aren't salvias !?).

Plant #1 is about 4' tall with definite pink flowers. It seems to be a somewhat vase shaped plant but it is growing among other flowers so it may just be reaching for its share of the sun. The young stems are gray but have become woody on the more mature plant. The leaves are not smooth and tend toward an olivey green color. The picture of the plant with leaves is a recently propagated cutting, hence its small size. I can detect no particular smell to the leaves.

Photobucket Photobucket

Plant #2 is below. It too is a rather tall plant - about 4' high - but has many more clumped stems from which it is growing. The small pale blue flowers are rather "lost" considering the size of the plant but maybe it's just finishing - or beginning - its main flowering burst. I forgot to check for any scent so can't comment on that aspect.

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks for sharing your input - June

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID help needed

The first sage is Salvia greggii x karwinskii `Riverside' and the second one appears to be S. uliginosa. This one will have a lot of stolons (runners).

o
RE: ID help needed

Thank you very much for the ID's.

The "Riverside" plant looks like it could be a winner for me; that the hummers like it is a bonus.

I think I'll just observe the uliginosa from afar for now. The specimen I saw certainly doesn't look as attactive as the gallery pictures, and my garden is small.

June

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here