Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heathen1

S. argentea

Heathen1
17 years ago

Okay... I'd like to plant an argentea this fall... I am having trouble understanding, is this a biennial or not? If I dead head, does it live as a perennial? I seem to not GET it... Annie's Annuals has it as a perennial, but Robin's Salvias has it as a biennial??? I don't mind if it's a biennial, but then I'd want to collect seeds.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• annette68_gw
    17 years ago

Hi Heathen,

I think you nailed it, from what I understand this salvia is a shortlived perennial if you deadhead the flowers, it lives for 2 years, if you allow to flower it generally dies not long after but apparently sets lots off seeds.Let me know how it performs for you, it is one off the salvias that I am going to try shortly.

Annette

• Heathen1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

okie dokie! :o) It SHOULD do well... I am putting it on this little 'hill' in my yard, so drainage will be great, I might have to actually mulch.
    Okay, I will treat it like a biennial and collect the seeds on the second year. :o)
    Thanks!

• youreit
    17 years ago

Betsy Clebsch says -

"After enjoying the stalk at full bloom for a few days, you should remove it, as you lengthen the life of the plant by preventing seed production. Even though it is classified as a perennial, it will be short-lived if it produces seed. Eventually, of course, the plant must be allowed to produce a small quantity of seed because this is the quickest and easiest means of propagation."

Brenda

• rich_dufresne
    17 years ago

Under its ideal conditions, Salvia argentea produces multiple crops of seed. In the USA, Denver has these conditions. The original plant in a collection there is around 20 years old, and the Denver Botanical Garden has one that is about half that age.

If the plants are in a xeric or Mediterranean climate, in a loose, aerated soil, and in USDA zone 8 or warmer, they will thrive. In heavier soils and more humid climates with hotter nights, this sage will act as a monocarpic (one seed set) biennial.

• Heathen1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay... well, I definitely live in a Mediterranean climate! I am in Sacramento... loose aerated soil is a little difficult in my clayland garden, but I think I can just dump in a bunch of compost. If the soil compacts, I can just take some seed, let the plant die and recompost or mulch... SO... now, Maybe I have a competition, How Long Can I Keep The S. argentea Alive? :o)
    Thanks!

• bindersbee
    17 years ago

I don't think you'll need to collect the seed. Mine self-seeds rather prolifically. I have to deadhead it as soon as it's done blooming or I get a ton of babies everywhere. They are easy to pluck out but be prepared! LOL!

• Heathen1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, they're infinitely better than bermuda grass which is what tries to grow there now... I wouldn't mind weeding baby salvias.

Sponsored