Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Greggii Surprise

hummersteve
14 years ago

I took these cuttings from a plant I bought put them inside under lights for a couple of weeks then planted them in this pot for 2-4wks not exactly sure how long. But was rather shocked when the one just seemed to explode as these shots reveil. They were only labeled salvia greggii red[autumn sage]

{{gwi:1245821}}

{{gwi:1245823}}

Comments (11)

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

Steve:
    Nice cuttings, If I get seed next year I will let you try some.We have been over 100 degrees for 59 day's and counting so I don't think my greggii's are going to produce good seed this year we have only recieved 10" of rain all year.I will keep you updated.
    Art

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Art

Greggii plants are hard to come by around here. Then its late in the season when nurseries have them available. Wow I cant Imagine that kind of sustained heat.

• Sandra Tran
    14 years ago

Hi Steve,

If you are interested in S. Greggii seeds I have some that I can spare. I have them in pink, white and purple if you are interested. Just email me.

Sandra

• wardda
    14 years ago

I am starting to see flowers on some naturally crossed seedlings. The most interesting one is what appears to be a greggii/microphylla cross with red flowers roughly the size of greggii Big Pink and very black calyxes. While the flower size is similar but it lacks the super fat lower petal. Maybe it is a keeper?

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

Maybe it is a keeper?

With the deep black calyx, it is probably best used as a breeder. If you can get a form from it with the dark calyx and the broad flower, that might be a keeper.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A better front view of the rogue plant in question.

{{gwi:1245825}}

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

It looks a bit like Furman's red or Cherry Chief, with intermediately wide foliage.

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

Steve
    keep an eye on that one I have a unnamed cultivar here that
    looks very similiar. It gets massive 4'wide x 5'wide.As a new plant the flowers get large as it becomes drier the flower shrinks. It should be interesting regardless have
    fun.
    Art

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What should I do with these cuttings , should I or can I keep them in the garage for the winter. I dont think they have enough time to get established in the ground.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

I have Pink Preference seed . They have proven to be amazingly drought hardy. I am in zone 8b so I can't attest to their cold hardiness. I have some new purple ones but they didn't have a name beyond "PURPLE". I haven't planted them out yet. Waiting for the fictional cool down . If you go to the fall Fort worth plant swap, I bet you will find hords of salvias.

• wardda
    14 years ago

I am trying Pink Preference for the first time this year - it is a beauty. Keep in mind that whatever results for your collected seeds will not be Pink Preference since that must be propagated from cuttings. Salvia greggii are pretty hardy up here in zone 7/6b. Last winter was a particulary hard one up here and many greggii died to the ground and were slow to recover.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH