Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia Przewalskii or something else?

Posted by ramazz 7b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 11, 07 at 15:24

I came home from vacation to find two of these in bloom. I planted several salvias that have similar flowers, so I looked at Robin's site and decided that Przewalskii was the closest - though my flowers are more bluish purple.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Any thoughts? I have several that it could cross with, I suppose - transsylvanica and the mysterious baldshuanica Lipsky. I have forskaohlei and "hians" in the yard but no flowers at this point. Do those bloom the first year?

Becky

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia Przewalskii or something else?

Looks to me more like a Salvia forskaohlei, which self-sows well, especially in California.

o

Well, in Robin's picture, forskaohlei has reddish stems and calyxes. Does that matter?

Becky

o

There are different forms of forskaohlei, and shade/sun and temperature can cause changes in the density of stem and calyx pigmentation. The hotter the temp, the less pigmentation.

Flower size is also affected. Cooler, sunnier weather promotes larger flowers.

o

Great! This plant is pretty much in full sun and it has been very hot. I have several plants that have formed huge basal clumps but haven't bloomed, and I thought those were forskaohlei, based upon descriptions of its "very attractive" leaves. I guess I will just have to wait for the flowers.

Thanks!
Becky

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here