Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firstdesertsage

My name is david ...I am a Salvia..........

desertsage
15 years ago

I couldn't find a intro post so here I go.Ex Low Desert Mastergardener, and Docent at the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix AZ. Retired to the Sky Islands of SE AZ. Never could get a Salvia to grow in Phx, clay on top of caliche. At my new property at 4500 ft Live oak, juniper, grassland, They grow like wonderful weeds. I have about 15 different Salvias growing in my garden. Most are bush(Greggii) types. I have several native Salvia growing on my 40 acres. My favorite being Salvia subincisa, Sawtooth sage. I am would like to see some Xing in my plants, I have zillons of volunteers coming up. Also an organic gardener, native plant guy, birder and volunteer Firefighter. The Hummers(10 different species) love my Salvia greggii better than the feeders. Peace, love,and joy.

Comments (17)

• rich_dufresne
    15 years ago

Do you know Sally & Tim Walker, Greg Starr, or the folks at Mountain States Nursery?

I was at the Salvia Summit at Cabrillo College two weeks ago. They very much want to do another in a few years. Stay tuned for announcements in about a year or two, or visit their web site. Use Cabrillo and Salvia for your search terms to find the pages.

• desertsage
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Rich, the only person I know from Mountain States is Janet Rademacher. She was a fixture at every gardening, Master Gardener program.
    I had some contact with Mountain States at The Desert Botanical Gardens semi-annual plant sales. They supplied DBG with lots of plant materal.
    As a MG at the DBG I was always invited to presentations to see,touch,smell the latest offerings.

• hybridsage
    15 years ago

Welcome David
    I am in a similiar Live oak /Juniper level here
    in Central Texas.I am part of the Horticulture committee
    at our local botanic gardens. Current President of the Austin Daylily Society. You will find Rich, Robin and others a valuable asset in tracking down Salvias or helping
    answer questions. I would say you can grow some nice penstemons there.
    Art

• desertsage
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Art, another love penstemons. I have 3 natives on my property and I bought a few from Phoenix which I hope will stay in within my garden. There are still a few in a wash I have yet to see in bloom. The moonson has brought us 13+ so everything is very lush here.

• CA Kate z9
    15 years ago

Welcome, David. It's good to have you join us. It will be interesting to see how your Salvias grow compared to our "desert" here in CA.

• desertsage
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you westelle, my greggii should do wonderful. I am between the Sonoran and Chihuahuan Desert, and I seem to be in a sweet spot. My property gets enough sun and heat 88 today. We also get the winter rains about 5-6 inch. Our moonson season just since July so far 13+ inch. Winters are short never any frozen dirt, and warm up very quickly. After two years of winters leaving Aloes and Fouquieria macdougalii(Tree ocotillo) out with good luck. I have tried a couple of tender Salvia clevelandii and S. leucantha and S. apiana. I had pretty good luck in Phoenix with these. At 4500 we have another variable, but most of my garden is under a spreading Palo verde. I came from the school that says full sun, isn't Arizona's full sun.

• CA Kate z9
    15 years ago

Full sun isn't California full sun either. Only the greggii and clevelandii do well in the sun, every thing else needs part shade -- some more than others.... even officinalis.

• annette68_gw
    15 years ago

Hi David,

Welcome to the addictive salvias forum. I was reading with interest that you had salvia subincisa, I was wondering if you could collect some seeds for me, I have been chasing this one for the longest time as well as salvia texana.

Thanks in Advance

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Some of my salvias.

• desertsage
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Annette, I will see if there are still seeds on the plants. We have had a lot of rain.

david

Here is a link that might be useful:

• costaricafinca
    15 years ago

I should have realized that there was a Salvia forum! But, until recently, I didn't know what a Salvia was, believe or not.
    I live in Costa Rica and have found out that the hummers that are the 7 permanent residents and the migrating Ruby throats love them, since my recently planted plants have bloomed.
    If anyone has seeds to share please let me share my seeds with you.
    David, what species of hummers to you get there?

• annette68_gw
    15 years ago

Thanks David that would be great, the pic is absolutely beautiful, the flowers are a lot larger than I thought it would be.

Cheers Annette

• desertsage
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Annette, the patch is still blooming even if only for a day at a time. I was able to collect about 25 seeds from this wild patch in a wash on my property. S. texana is a bit East of where I live. I am clueless on how to get the seed to you.

david

Here is a link that might be useful: S. texana range

• desertsage
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi costaricafinca, I get 10 different hummers, some in the winter, some in the summer. Right now is the high point of migration. I fill the feeders twice a day even though most hummers prefer my red garden. The little village of Portal where I live has hosted 5 more that I still have not seen in my own yard.

These are my yard hummers,
    BROAD-BILLED HUMMINGBIRD (U) BLUE-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD (C) MAGNIFICENT HUMMINGBIRD (C) BLACK-CHINNED HUMMINGBIRD (C) ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD (C) COSTA'S HUMMINGBIRD (U) CALLIOPE HUMMINGBIRD (U) BROAD-TAILED HUMMINGBIRD (C) RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD (C) ALLEN'S HUMMINGBIRD (R). The rest have visited my town, WHITE-EARED HUMMINGBIRD (R) BERYLLINE HUMMINGBIRD (R) VIOLET-CROWNED HUMMINGBIRD (U) PLAIN-CAPPED STARTHROAT (R)-LUCIFER HUMMINGBIRD (U)

david

• costaricafinca
    15 years ago

You host quite a collection! I saw a couple of Rufous hummers on my recent vacation back to Canada and used to see them in my garden in BC. The Plain capped star throats are regular visitors to my garden and have been everyday for the past few months. I don't use feeders at all, and in fact, have very few red plants and have always hummers in it.

• annette68_gw
    15 years ago

Hi David,

That is great, click on my email addressand send me an email and I will give you an address, I am so happy, that salvia is beautiful

Annette

• costaricafinca
    15 years ago

If you still have a few seeds to spare, I would sure love some as well I will send you trade my trade list, if you are interested.

• annette68_gw
    15 years ago

Hi David,

Sorry to be a nag, did you send me an email as I havent received it:)

Cheers Annette

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler