Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hybridsage

What is surviving drought & 106 Degree temps.

hybridsage
12 years ago

We have had 6" of rain this year (Average 30").

The Salvia greggii,farinacea & microphylla are surviving.We have to water once every two weeks (equal to 1" of rain). I hope farinacea & greggii's in the wild are ok. Mine would be toast by now if it were not for the occasional watering needed.

I have lost some seedlings. Looks like this exceptional drought could go into 2012 as well.

Has anyone else been having drought issues w/their Salvias?

Thanks

Art

Comments (5)

• desertsage
    12 years ago

Hi Art, you still received twice as much rain as me. Since the monsoons arrived we have not been above 100. June was pretty hot for our elevation. I was pretty lucky between the February freeze and lack of rain. I lost individual plants, but not all of any one species, so time to get propagating. At least one of every kind of CA sage made it through. I am not sure about S. azurea it still hasn't popped up, but it usually waits for the weather to cool down.

david

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

I didnt have the sustained heat and drought you guys had but here in the midwest we had several at or near 100, yards were brown and many plants were wilted but one new plant I tried was strong ,, salvia wendy's wish. I have to give it high marks but I will say mine was in pots and normal water.

• susanlynne48
    12 years ago

My Salvias survived the drought quite well, but most are planted in part shade. I am also attentive to watering them when they look like they are wilting before the sun hits them. I did suffer loss of bloom from the heat on Salvias 'Cherry Queen', 'Hot Lips', and 'Black and Blue'.

The most damage was done by Southern Pink Moth. I never hear anyone else talk about problems with the larvae of this moth, so I guess you guys don't get them???

Susan

• herb_guy
    12 years ago

It's in the mid-30's (oC) at present. The Anthony Parker and Meigan's Wish are showing signs of being a little thirsty,but are toughing it out. Mind you, so far we've had a mild summer (as was last year) with some rain.The gregiis and heterophyllas are all doing well as expected. The mexicana and iodantha just look after themselves, though I had to lop off a couple of branches of the latter yesterday to give the other plants some room.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

Last year I lost my S. red velvet on a steep limestone bank. I had the same awful lack of rain as mentioned by Hybridsage, except I was unable to water because we are on Rainwater that ran out and we were existing on trucked in water. Most of my Gregii pink perfection on the steep bank looked sad but rebonded fine. My Salvia regla is sad but alive. Salvia madrensis hid underground and never stuck its head out of the ground all summer long but is growing now just fine. My S mexicana and involcrata are history . all my S farenacias of various sorts survived fine. My S officionales is not looking to good at all. but is hanging in there. I need to chop it back. My native S lindheimerii that grows wild in thes hill around me is not showing signs of life. That is surprising. Of course the roemeriana didn't even know there was a drought. Salvia melissadora is showing good life .

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator