Black and Blue Salvia

melva
16 years ago

I just love this one! I always see hummers around it

{{gwi:307801}}

Comments (19)

• CA Kate z9
    16 years ago

It doesn't do as well here in Central CA with our high temps and dry air, but I try to grow it anyway.

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

I agree---it does draw the hummers!

• laperouse
    16 years ago

Mine are doing great, too. Since I'm in zone 6, I wanted to take cuttings since I doub it will overwinter here. I have never done it before, so any suggestions as to when and how? What potting medium etc.

Thanks!
    Marianne

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

I have a friend around Lake Michigan that just digs a clump up after frost hits it and keeps it in a pot in an unheated garage that stays above freezing. Very occasional watering over the winter is all she does to it and then replants it outside in the spring.

• ladyslppr
    16 years ago

Instead of cuttings you might take a couple of small rooted pieces from the edges of your plants, pot them up, and try to overwinter them in a cool, bright window. Any small piece with a root will be easier to grow than a cutting. I'd start now, so that if you fail you have time for another try or two before frost.

• laperouse
    16 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I might try both!

Marianne

• olelady
    16 years ago

I live in zone 6 and brought my black and blue in last year, just potted it up like a house plant. It got spindly, but survived and set it back out this spring and it did beautifully.

But, I made a friend at the Farmer's Market who is a horticulturist, and she says all I have to do is mulch them real good and I won't have to bring it in.

That's what I did with the Hot Lips, and it survived.

Happy Gardening,

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

That is very nice, Melva. Does it handle our summers okay? I may have to try Black & Blue.

Randy

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

hi Randy,
    I grow Black and Blue and it appreciates some shade in the afternoon and more water than most of my other salvias (it will wilt when it's thirsty), but it is over 5 feet tall this year.

Pam

• redpoppy215
    16 years ago

Randy,

This is my 3rd summer growing Black and Blue in Memphis, TN. I'm not sure how our weather compares to yours, but it does well in our hot (highs in the upper 90's and low 100's) and humid summers. Mine is currently about 5' tall, and has been in bloom for months. It has a heavy flush of blooms in early summer, and usually in mid-summer once the blooming slows down (but mine never completely stops blooming -- it's always a great source of color in my yard), I'll cut it back about halfway. This encourages it to flush out again and bloom again, and keeps it a little more compact at the end of the summer. Whenever I see hummingbirds in my yard, this is what they're on!

A great plant. One of my favorites.

• jimmyjojo
    16 years ago

I have had a lot of success rooting cuttings, especially rooting salvias that don't produce much seeds. I put the instructions on "My Page" if anyone's interested.

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

I have tried some cuttings already of david verity and greggi and they arent doing well. So Im thinking about just mulching my black and blues, but do I need to cut those all the way to the ground too.

• texanjana
    16 years ago

I always wait until I see new growth in the Spring before I cut back. It doesn't look great, but it increases their survival.

• Ann
    15 years ago

Hello,
    I am new to hummingbirds and learned about B&B on the hummingbird forum. I LOVE the look of these flowers, and want to get a clump going ASAP! Any recommendations for a source for a few healthy plants at a good price?
    Thanks,
    Ann

• plantloverla
    15 years ago

I haven't had any luck getting perennial salvia to thrive in my zone....can someone give me advice on starting cuttings, best light, and feeding???

• wardda
    15 years ago

I know several folks who successfully grow Black & Blue and several other guaraniticas in your state. In fact they report that the plants are so happy they can become a bit of a pest. You are also in a prime area for many of the fall and winter bloom herbacious perennial sages from the New World Tropics. Check out A World of Salvias and Robinssalvias for details because there are far too many to mention and I haven't grown most of them.

Ann, I live in the same zone as you. I wouldn't want to plant any of the guaraniticas now. They may not have enough time to get established before winter.

• Ann
    15 years ago

thank you! I'll start a list for the spring.

Ann

• clbravo
    15 years ago

Plantloverla,
    My black and blue are my most reliable to come back year after year. They die back in the winter and I transplant when they come back in the spring. I also grow mexican bush sage, anthony parker, greggi, indigo and mystic spires, and madranses(sp?). They go great with my old garden roses and the hummers love them. Here is a pic the year after Katrina.
    Clint

{{gwi:1245902}}

• bettyjean-2008
    14 years ago

This is a neat forum, I had b&b winter over here in zone 6a this year. But I hope someone can help, I have had ladys slipper or lady in red (can't remember which one)reseed for years, the hummers love it. but the last several years the flowers look like they will flower, but do not flower,also had the same problem with my pink hummingbird vines, I hope they do not attack my b&b next, there are about a billion tiny pink moths that are always on the red salvia, does anyone know what might be eating the flowers before they become a flower?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting