Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
voodoobrew

new Salvia hybrids

voodoobrew
13 years ago

I have recently acquired S. microphylla "Dancing Lights". It is a red and pink bicolor; it reminds me of "Hot Lips", but I like this one much more!

Comments (19)

• robinmi_gw
    13 years ago

Photo please!!!!!

Have a couple of new bicolors here also.....but the plants seem weak so far.

• voodoobrew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, I will try to get a good photo. The plant is still fairly small. It seems to be originally from Santa Barbara Botanical Garden, where it's listed as a greggii, but the foliage certainly looks like microphylla to me (and was listed as such, on eBay). I will have to get to their sale at some point -- it's a nice botanical garden, and they have many interesting plants on their list.

• wardda
    13 years ago

I wonder if it is from the same breeder that produced Dancing Dolls. That one came to me back in June and has been living in a 6 inch pot. Lovely flower, the ground color of the flower reminds me somehow of Plum Wine. Is anyone further along with this plant? I would love to see a photo of Dancing Lights too. Every year I see a dozen or two new seedlings appear and bloom in the gardens, but never has a markedly bi-colored one appeared. Red & Pink? It seems to be a fairly come and irritating way that quite a few red flowered types fade, but in the same bloom? I am trying to picture it.

• hybridsage
    13 years ago

There is a picture of this plant on auctions.canadaspace.com there appears to
    be a Salvia greggii by the same name that San Barbara
    Botanical Gardens list. I would say it is not patented
    like "Dancing Dolls" or sister plant "Shell Dancer"(PPAF)
    from Suncrest Nurseries.
    Art

• voodoobrew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Suncrest Nursery has been very busy... There were some new hybrids for sale today at the UCBerkeley fall sale. For those looking for yellow, "Golden Girl" is nice. The eBay photo in the link below doesn't do it justice; it's the darkest yellow I've seen in a greggii hybrid.

Others hybrids I picked up:
    "Coral Sunrise" (my favorite) = deep coral, ages to pale coral. dark stems & calyx

"Bright Eyes" = vivid cherry red, white eye

"Orchid Glow" = vivid purple/ magenta, white dot

"Dancing Shadows" = pink to white, purple calyx

I am also very excited about the large Salvia tubifera I picked up. I love the dark wine red flowers, which are long, slender and point upwards. This plant is fairly huge at UCB bot, in shade.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia X

• Limy
    13 years ago

Voodoo brew I bought this Salvia Dancing Lights a little earlier this year . Its a little slow establishing itself up here in Redding but it is doing ok. Oh and by the way its a Microphylla for sure, there is no mistaking the veined leaf. Voodoo brew since you are a hummingbird freak you might try growing Stachys Coccinea
    My hummers bypass all my Salvia and Penstomen to feed on this hardy long flowering plant. One might mistake this plant for a Salvia but with a more rampant habit.

• voodoobrew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Suncrest nurseries has been busy. I bought 4 new jamensis type hybrids at the UCBerkeley sale:

"Fire Dancer" - bright red-orange, cream center

"Fancy Dancer" - bicolor: rose upper, lt. apricot lower lips, rose calyx

06-0801A - pale pink with dark calyx

"Pink hybrid" - med. pink/ white bicolor, like a pink Hot Lips

• hybridsage
    12 years ago

Voodoobrew:
    Sounds interesting,Hope some one can post some pictures
    on the internet of some of these other forms like "Dancing Embers"etc..
    Suncrest has been busy.
    Art

• jvino
    12 years ago

Any idea where I can purchase Dancing Lights or any of the other new salvia listed here?? Salvia is my new favorite plant!!

Thanks

Jeremiah

• hybridsage
    12 years ago

Jeremiah:
    Most of these Salvias are from Suncrest nurseries but
    a wholesaler Conard-Pyle who distributes these plant to growers.
    If you go to the Conard-Pyle website and enter your
    Zip code you can find someone who purchases products from them it would be a starting point anyway.
    Some mail order Nurseries have picked up a few of these intros like Plant Delights Nursery.
    Here in Austin S.greggii and S.microphylla are stables here
    but to date the only Suncrest intro that made it to market is "Moonlight". California is the place where they will be found in larger numbers.
    Art

• jvino
    12 years ago

Searched conrad-pyle and they listed placed that I've already checked. PDN had a couple but I guess what I need is a nursery in california that has a nice selection with a webstore. Any ideas?? Or someone that is willing to pickup some locally and ship them. Or cuttings??

Thanks

Jeremiah

• hybridsage
    12 years ago

Jeremiah:
    I have seen several people in California who ship Salvias
    species but they don't have these hybrid varieties. Do you know anyone in California?
    That would be the best way to go. See if
    they can find some in smaller pots so they ship easier.
    The Suncrest website list several nurseries that they ship to(these are retail). I would like to trial some of these here in Texas as well. I have had good luck growing S.greggii "Moonlight" here for 10 years no problems.Sorry I could not help you out more.
    Art

• jvino
    12 years ago

Thanks again Art. I have a cousin in Nor Cal but he isn't a plant person and more than likely wouldn't ship plants. I'll ask anyway. I appreciate your help!! If I'm able to find the plants I'll start some for you and send em your way!!

Jeremiah

• hybridsage
    12 years ago

Jeremiah:
    Thanks keep us posted on how they perform in your
    environment in Oregon.
    Art

• jvino
    12 years ago

Kermit,

If you have additional stock I would love to trial them up here in Oregon. The greggii and microphylla types do great up here. If you are interested drop me an email. We can work out the details!!!

Jeremiah

• voodoobrew
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I tend to like the microphyllas better than the greggiis. I bought a salvia called "Cienega de Oro" at the latest Cabrillo College sale. The plant with this name from UCB has greggii type foliage and light yellow flowers. The one purchased from C.C. has [large!] microphylla type leaves, and the flowers look like Sierra San Antonio, but bigger. Since Sierra S.A. normally has greggii type leaves (at least the ones I've seen in the trade), all I can figure is this is some other hybrid! The stems are long and lax, and it's flowering now.

I like it, whatever it is!

• hybridsage
    12 years ago

Voodoobrew:
    The original collection of "Sierra San Antonio" had small
    microphylla type leaves. The solid yellow greggii type is
    "Moonlight" from Suncrest nursery in California.
    Thanks!
    Art

• Limy
    12 years ago

You may notice that I posted last year on this plant and I said it was rather slow to get going, however, this year I cut it back to about 6 inches and it took off and is putting on a spectacular show right now . This has been a cool year in Northern California this year which has really prolonged the first flush of flowers.
    I would certainly recommend this one . It will be interesting to see how it copes with our 110 plus days that will be here shortly .

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz