Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heathen1

Salvia coccinea

Heathen1
18 years ago

Hi, I have a Salvia 'Brenthurst' which I like very much. I understand that it is very short lived. So, my question is, should I take cuttings or does it breed true to seed?

Thank you!

Comments (16)

• annette68_gw
    18 years ago

I also have the coccinea brenthurst and as far as I know it comes true from seed provided it hasnt crossed with any other coccineas. Take a cutting to play it safe.

• Heathen1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

okay... thanks! Is it true that their lifespan is like 2-3 years? how odd. There is only two salvias within a huge area of mine one is an indigo spires, the other a russian sage accross the street.

• annette68_gw
    18 years ago

Hello,

Yes it is true but they set so many seeds it is not funny. Are you a zone 10, I think that is what I am. In my huge area the only salvias you see growing are blaze of fire, and the mealycup sage. No imagination or maybe nurseries stick to the tried and true. But thx to the wonderful mail order nurseries I am approaching 100 different salvia. Most grow here except the chinese and cold climate salvias. the guaranticas, mexicanas and the mexican salvias in general they dont seem to mind the humidity and the virtually no winter. Heres to happy Salvias.

• Heathen1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think you are more tropical than I am... I am in Sacramento, California... :o) perfect for my salvia apiana which grows to HUGE heights. Hot and dry in the summer.
    We have West NIle virus busily killing our hummingbirds, I hope to plant enough salvia to make them come back! :o)
    Actually, I think that Salvias are coming in here, finally, but I live in an old Asian area, lots of Japanese gardens and the like. :o)

• annette68_gw
    18 years ago

Yes you are right I am in the middle of the tropics. Summers are hot & humid here. I have the apiana seeds but I dont think
    the apiana likes the humidity. Time will tell :)

• Heathen1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have a friend in the east who has a DEhumidifier and is trying to see if it enables her to grow the Salvia apiana.

• annette68_gw
    18 years ago

ok you got me what is a dehumidifier?

• Heathen1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

some machine that takes the humidity out of the air... I wouldn't know, we are having like %20 humidity now.... but the East Coast is very humid.

• annette68_gw
    18 years ago

Thx Is the machine noisy like a generator.

• CA Kate z9
    18 years ago

You guys make me laugh... LOL! A dehumidifier is a machine that removes the water from the air and gives off the water in liquid form... which is more like distilled, so you can use it in your iron. Anyway, the bigger space you need to de-humidify the bigger machine you need. The noise is more of a hummmmm. And, they are a necessity practically anywhere east of the Rockies.

I can't imagine how this person is going to use a dehumidifier to let her grow Apiana.

• DariotJr
    18 years ago

wow... a dehumidifier just for salvias! (I think botanical gardens use them for their desert collections...). This salvia-passion is turning into a serious addiction!
    But anyways, can somebody send me a HUMIDIFIER here, I really need one!

Dariot JR

• cait1
    18 years ago

LOL!!! Aussies are a bit slow when it comes to product introduction. Only now is evaporated cooling for the home coming available. Double glazed windows are still a very rare commodity. My house was built about 15 years ago - WITHOUT central heating! And it gets stinkin' cold down here where I am. Though in newer homes it's going in, but that's only if the towns have gas available. The next town over is only now getting gas hook-up. Most people don't even have clothes dryers, they're all electric and work like garbage taking nearly two hours to dry 5 towels. You need to import gas dryers and they cost a bundle, over $1000. I miss my Sears gas dryer that could dry 10 towels in about 50 minutes and had only cost me $220. And they only got color TV here in the mid 70's.
    As for salvias, Sue Templeton was instrumental in introducing many species to Australia, starting in the early 90's, and continues to do so today. And now, with the internet, seeds can be had of those species not readily available.
    I think that coccineas are annuals in most climes. One of my Coral Nymphs didn't overwinter though the parent has been flowering since Dec 03 only taking a quick nap the following winter (Jun 04 Oz winter). This winter (now) it's looking ragged so we'll see if it survives. I've had two small c. Albas but they've both been eaten to the ground by snails. Brenthurst isn't being eaten and stands tough against the cold. What Annette calls 'Blaze of Fire' I think is 'Lady in Red'; names are not uniform. I've just sown seedls of one named 'Tangerine' as it's supposed to have orange corollas - we'll see about that, they may be more vermillion. I've never seen the plant. I recently purchased seed from the US called 'Forest Fire'. The calyx is supposed to be black.
    I'm pretty sure they come true from seed. The 'Coral Nymph' did and it's right next to and towering over 'Lady in Red'. I've also taken cuttings.
    Cait

• annette68_gw
    18 years ago

Actually what I call Blaze of Fire is the common red splendens you see everywhere. btw which American seed company did you get the Forest Fire from it sounds yummy.

• cait1
    18 years ago

I ordered from www.hardyplants.com. They have quite a few salvias to choose from. They also got to me pretty quick considering they had to go through customs.

• Heathen1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

okay... thanks Westelle... never seen a dehumidifier... wouldn't know one from a rock! :o) Course, you and I don't ever need one... Specially not in Fresno! :o) Dariot... I could use one too! :o) I have to wait for winter for my humidity.

• annette68_gw
    18 years ago

Thx Cait. I will check it out.

Sponsored