Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rain at Last /Salvias that

Posted by hybridsage 8b Austin,Tx (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 22, 08 at 19:20

We finally have had a good 2" rain. My Salvia greggii,
microphylla,greggii x microphylla,miniata,coccinea,
azurea var pitcheri,scabra, xSilkes Dream and ballotaeflora look like they are going to make it through this drought!
lots of dead stems but coming back nicely. How is everone
elses salvias surviving?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rain at Last /Salvias that

With 13+" of rain since July 1, most of my older Salvias are past their peak. A month and a half of rain, has kept the temps down a bit and flowering has been wonderful. Now it is heating up again and I suspect October will bring another flush. Many many volunteers this year, the hummers and Spinx moths really did their job.

o

We were hoping that rain would come here but it headed your way. My salvias have recovered from being so dry but no flowering yet.David which other species do you have besides greggii and subincisa? Any S.arizonica or clevelandii etc?
Art

o

Hi Art, I only bought some potted plants from Phoenix that I though might be tender here. Two winters and they are doing very well, so I have tried S. clevelandii and S. leucantha and S. apiana. Apiana started from seed is a little slow, but I grew it in Phx and know most of the growth comes in the winter. S.clevelandii and S. leucantha are beautiful leucantha is just starting to bloom. Clevelandii appears to be making buds too. Luckly I have two rainy seasons here. I am not a shopper so, my wife goes to the big city with her girlfriends. She brings back Salvias as asked, but mostly annuals which I thank her for and plant in a faraway garden.
david

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here