Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what does lemon sage look like?

Posted by jeaninpgh z6 PA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 05 at 19:38

I just recieved a great trade (my 2nd) & one of the plants is new to me , does anyone know what lemon sage looks like in bloom?What is its hardiness zone? I also recieved rootbeer & licorice agastache? any info greatly appreciated- p.s. thanks to deedee8 & browneyedsusan for these great plants

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what does lemon sage look like?

• Posted by Cait1 VIC Aust (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 8, 05 at 19:58

Hello Jean,
Hard to say when using a common names. If the leaves are grey-green then it could be one of the culinary sages, Salvia officinalis. I googled lemon sage and it came up with a pic of Salvia elegans; except the common name for that one is pineapple sage. Perhaps you can ask the person who gave it to you for it's botanical name.

Cait

o

thanks cait,I also kept coming up w pineapple & i dont think that the sender knows ,its a beautiful plant about 12 or more in high w dark green leaves that smell strongly like lemon pledge,my mom wants lemon sage chicken when it grows,but I dont want anyone eating it if its poisionus or something,Im new to the GW & figured maybe someone knows this plant

o

Are you certain it's a sage? Could it be 'lemon balm' or even 'lemon verbena'? Both smell strongly of lemons if you crush or rub the foliage. I'm growing lemon verbena and currently it's full of holes - bugs just love the stuff.

o

I believe I have a lemon sage shrub in one of my flower beds. It is a few years old now and so is rather large, but it has hot pink flowers and smallish leaves that have a lemony-peachy smell when crushed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here