Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia 'Nuevo Leon'

Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 5, 06 at 19:49

I bought a Salvia with this name today, and after some online research, I'd just like to know if anyone has some info on this (i.e., personal experience, history, etc.).

I've read that it's a cross between greggii and lycioides. I also saw one reference to it possibly being a chionophylla. Does anyone know which, if either, might be true?

It's not currently in bloom, and the plant is fairly sparse and small at the moment. I have high hopes, though, Charlie Brown!

Thanks, fellow Salvia addicts! :)

Brenda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia 'Nuevo Leon'

I've grown this for about 3 years now. The first couple of years they didn't do much, but this year they bloom well. It is, however, smaller and lower growing than the other salvia greggis, which means they are best grown at the edge of the border.

o

It is definitely not Salvia chionophylla, which acts more like a ground cover, with roundish gray foliage and light blue-lavender flowers from tufts.

o

• Posted by youreit z9b CA Sunset z8-9 (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 11, 06 at 15:24

Thanks, Dho and Rich! I'll just treat it like a small greggii, and see what happens. :)

Brenda

o

Sat, Sep 16, 06 at 8:15

I'm so excited, I just had to post! My first bloom from this little gem has arrived, and it's so beautiful; small but beautiful! It's a rich, dark, velvety purple with a bit of white down its "throat".

As soon as my husband returns with the camera on his weekend trip, I will attempt a photograph of the bloom to share with you. :)

Brenda

o

Tue, Sep 19, 06 at 11:41

It has 3 blooms now, and as per usual, the photos just don't do them justice. The color variations only show up in the pics, not to the naked eye, so it must be my digital camera self-editing. :)

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Another bloom

o

Hello,

Gorgeous pic, if it sets seeds and you would like to trade for other salvia species seed let me know.

Cheers Annette

o

Brenda: where did you buy this gem?

o

Be aware that Nuevo Leon is probably a cross of a blue sage like lycioides or muelleri with greggii. I was lucky a long time ago to go with the folks from Yucca-Do to Coahuila (Jame and neighboring areas in the Eleven Sisters mountain ranges above Saltillo and Monterrey). There, these sages exist in hybrid swarms at most elevations and exposures. Plants often do not come true to seed.

If you cross plants from two pure strains collected in the wild from separate locations, you are most likely to get homogeneous F1 hybrids. The successive hybrids, F2, F3, etc., will show a range from one original parent to the other, as is in the hybrid swarms I've seen. I would not be surprised if even self-pollinated Salvia Nuevo Leon seed gave rise to a different plant.

o

Wed, Sep 20, 06 at 10:41

Annette, this is my first year collecting Salvia seeds, but if I'm able, I'll share some with you. If you're willing to chance the variability, as well. Thanks for that very interesting info, Rich!

Westelle, I got it from Three Palms nursery, a locally-owned place in Davis. The owner, Phil Kitchen, always has a nice selection of Salvias there, and usually at least one that I've never tried (or even heard of). He finally has a website now, but he only updates the online plant inventory once every season. We're going back to see him on Oct. 7th if you'd like me to pick up one of these for you. :)

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Three Palms

o

Thanks for the link Brenda. DH and I will be traveling that way in Oct. too and I can check out this new-to-me nursery then, but thanks for the offer.

o

Thanks,

If it sets seed it sounds even more interesting what it will produce,I am up for the challenge, if and when it sets seed let me know, I have an interesting lot off salvia seed so if you are chasing anything let me know.

Cheers Annette

o

I just bought this plant, and the plant tag says " Salvia greggi X lycioides", so I think that's your answer. :-)

o

With all due respect, you are awfully believing of plant tags.

I have an old coffee can full of ones that were inaccurate in one way or another. I wish our industry was smart and honest enough that all plant tags could be believed, but that is far, far from being the case.

I have see this plant with at least three different "parentages". A mystery.

o

Pat McNeal of McNeal growers might have the answer. He has collected the true S. lycioides in the Guadeloupe Mountains located at the southern border of New Mexico with Texas. I was told it occurs in Mexico at somewhat higher elevations than S. greggii, and these hybrids form where the two overlap.

The greggii x lycioides hybrids San Isidro (lavender) and Los Lirios (purple) were collected by Carl Schoenfeld and John Fairey of Yucca-Do, or at least initially distributed them through their early mail order business.

Los Lirios was distributed as S. greggii Navajo Dark Purple.

Salvia lycioides x greggii `Purple Pastel' is similar to San Isidro, and probably is a Pat McNeal introduction.

The plants distributed as S. muelleri and S, coahuilensis are probably hybrids with S. greggii, since the true species are some intensity of pure blue. I got mine from Manuel Flores quite a while ago. Botanists from the University of Nuevo Leon in Monterrey are supposed to know of true locations for these true blue forms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here