Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prune flowers/buds for new planting?

Posted by mwhidden MA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 20:47

I just bought some Salvia "May Night" in 6" pots. They have some flowers and buds on them. When I put them in the ground, should I remove the flowers and buds? Will that encourage them to better establish themselves for New England winter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prune flowers/buds for new planting?

If the buds are small in relation to the square footage of the healthy foliage, and if the roots at the edge of the root ball are robust, you should have no problems. If the plant is small, I'd definitely cut the flower heads off.

A lot of your success will depend on temperatures, including night temps, and site preparation.

o
RE: Prune flowers/buds for new planting?

Thank you for your reply. The foliage probably spans about 10" and they seemed pretty pot-bound when I put them in the ground. I think I'll let the flowers be for a while, and I'll aggressively dead-head and keep on top of the watering until frost. Site prep included about 1/2" of homemade compost and a dusting of organic fertilizer in the top 4" of soil, and a couple of handfuls of compost and a tablespoon of fertilizer mixed into the bottom of the hole. A couple of inches of pine bark mulch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here