Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia farinacea is it an Annual or Perennial for Zone 6b?

Posted by ladyrose65 6bNJ (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 21:08

I've got a lot of these plants. Has anyone have growing as a perennial? If so, what zone? I would like to overwinter mine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia farinacea is it an Annual or Perennial for Zone 6b?

They're annuals for both of us (I'm technically zone 7A) and they hate temperatures under 25 degrees. I do read reports of S. farinacea surviving easy winters, or with plenty of mulch, but it's never happened to me even in my warmer southern face garden.

Some people overwinter by lifting, drying a bit, and storing, but I've never tried that. I collect seed from mine (I already started this year) and start them indoors under lights in March.

You can also dig up a plant, or plants, pot them, and put them at a sunny windowsill for the winter. Growth and blooming are spotty, but they'll survive and can be transplanted back into the garden once frost is past next spring.

On the up side, a few volunteers are possible in many of our gardens--several salvia, both S. splendens and S. farinacea, sprouted randomly in my garden.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 7:58

S coccinea also reseeds well and puts on a good show in the late summer/fall.
Darn, I wish more salvias were hardy to zone 6.

o

>>Darn, I wish more salvias were hardy to zone 6.

I hear you on that one! I start a full flat of S. splendens (scarlet) and another one of S. farinacea (Rhea, blue) every year. It would be nice to park 'em and forget about 'em. :-)

I attached the link to my blog, the second post down has my August garden photos. The red salvia is unbelievably dominant again this year and I love it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Photos

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 7:24

Yes, your red spikes are the eye catcher in every shot.

o

Some of the 6 year old farinacea survived temperatures to zero last winter some didn't. Mine grow in a very dry area which probably helps in their survival

o

I am going to try to cover them with hay? Morpheus very nice blog.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here