Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help identifying varieties?

Posted by kytti z7 NC (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 24, 06 at 21:27

Hi,
I recently visited Reynolda Gardens in Winston-Salem, NC. They have a yellow and blue garden which had 3 different types of gorgeous salvias. I'd love to know what varieties they are. I tried e-mailing the gardens, but didn't get a response.
I'm not sure how to load thumbnails of plants, but will try to provide links to photos.

Mystery salvia 1 would probably have been 7-8 feet tall, but had layed over so many of the stalks were horizontal to the ground. The flowers were larger and more open than many salvias (not as tube-like) photo at salvia 1

Mystery salvia # 2 was much shorter, maybe 3-4 foot tall. the flowers were a beautiful baby blue. Photo at salvia 2

Mystery salvia #3 was easily 8-9 feet tall and as wide, stood upright well, and the flower stalks twisted and corkscrewed above the foliage. Beautiful!! photo at salvia 6

I hope the photo links work!
Thanks for any help!!
-Kitty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help identifying varieties?

Not sure about 1 or 3, No 2 maybe Salvia Uliginosa.

o

I agree with #2 as uliginosa. #1 seems to be azurea var. grandiflora< not sure of #3 as it seems to have the same habit as azurea.

o

Wonderful, thanks!!
mystery salvia #3 had smaller blooms like the uliginosa but a deeper blue, not the baby blue color. And the plant was huge!
Thanks so much for the help!!!!
-Kitty

Here is a link that might be useful: mystery salvia 3

o

It is hard to tell from the photos, but S. uliginosa and azurea are the best guesses for these three. Uliginosa has scented foliage (kerosine), not so azurea. Leaves on both are a lot longer than wide. Uliginosa has leaves with toothed edge, whereas azurea has a mostly smooth edge and they are narrower than uliginosa's leaves. The flowers on azurea are a solid blue, and those of uliginosa are a bit darker with a white zone.

o
RE: help identifying varieties on #3

Hi,
I absolutely agree that #2 is the uliginosa with the sky blue flowers. I also think #1 is the Azurea grandiflora because the flowers are just right!
But I also think #3 is a separate variety. It really was 8-9 feet or more tall and about as wide, the uliginosa only gets 4-6 feet tall and the grandiflora 3-5 feet tall.
is there a "giant" variety of salvia?
Thanks,
Kitty

Here is a link that might be useful: giant salvia?

o

Only a guess, could it be S.urica, what were the leaves like on no. 3.

o
RE: help identifying variety #3?

Hi,
If you are asking about how the foliage smelled, I don't know, the plant was at the back of a flower bed so I couldn't get very close. I'll attach a link to the best closeup I could manage of the foliage. The leaves are narrow and pointed. If I'd known the gardens wouldn't help with any identifying, I'd have tried to take more and better photos. :-(
I think the flowers were slightly two tone, either blue and white or darker and lighter blue if that helps.
Thanks,
Kitty

Here is a link that might be useful: foliage of salvia

o

I am still not sure, maybe the Azurea Nekans. It is a bummer that they didnt supply species names. Still you have 2/3definates which is pretty good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here